375 H&H

flims

has anyone built a long range rifle in 375 H&H. what are the ballistics of this bullet like? would it perform well at long range? a friend asked me this so im posting on his behalf.
thank you

I have one that's built for "long range". It's built on a Rem 700 long action and stocked in Remington Sendaro take-off. As to looks, its essentially a Remington Sendaro, same look and weight. I have a Leupold M3 LR 3.5x10 on it. I've shot it to 1,000 yards down at Quantico, VA.

I built it specifically for duplicating the trajectory of my 308's. I shoot the Nosler 260 Accubond. It has killed everything I've shot with it, black bear, elk, whitetail and other slow animals.

It has been named (and engraved at build time) "The Monkey Blaster" in anticipation of a baboon hunt in Africa..

ive played with a 375 rum stock remington its close to H&H i loved it so much kirby is building me a nice long range stick on the 375 Rum. the bullets out there for the 375cal are more for short range but if u look around u can find a few good ones for long range.

when i shoot someting with a big hole out past 200 yrds i switch to my 358 norma mag. a 250 gr bullet at 2800 fps can get some attention at 600 plus yrds.

Dave what kind of Accuracy and Velocity are you getting with yours? I am using a stock Rem 700 Sporter and best I can get is 1 MOA. I am pushing those 260 AB's at 2845fps with 76gr of R-15 out of a 24inch tube.

I don't recall, it's been a while since I've shot it. I don't believe 1 MOA is unreasonable, I believe I was in that arena.

I dug some old posts from a thread in August 2004:

"Just back from shooting. The 260 Accubonds went over the Oehler at 2819fps (STDEV of 13). I used 73gr of RL15, Fed 215M, Win brass and OAL or 3.600. The fella with me decided he DID NOT want to shoot "The monkey blaster" after watching me get thrashed about each shot. (It's not that bad, just looks bad I guess. No snot flying like on the 338 RUM with 300's )
The time was real short and I didn't get to shoot for accuracy just a few rounds through the trees at 400 yards and it looks like I need 7 MOA over my 100 yard Zero. It's a litle odd having the M3LR in that I can't get and exact 100 yard Zero and I'll need to play with it some more.
"

"Just back again with another trip to shoot the 375 H&H.
I loaded a pile of rounds with the 260 Accubond and RL-15.. Seems to work pretty good. On my Zero reset today (still playing with the M3LR) my three shot group was 2 MOA low but only measured .687.

So far the only two groups I've shot with the rifle have been ~.9 MOA (200 yards) and ~.7 MOA (100 yards). I believe this is a keeper. For a big ole 375 H&H using virgin brass and the 260 Accubond I believe it'll end up being a .75 MAO gun easily, maybe .5 MOA once I figure everything out.
"

"I had the chance to shoot The monkey blaster at Marine Corps Base Quantico today. We shot on Range 4 at 1000 yards onto some smaller targets (42 inches square).

I was not at all suprised that it used the same come-up value (38 MOA) as the two fellas shooting the 308 Win with 175 Sierra MatchKings (38 and 40 MOA). It was a little cold ~40 degrees but none-the-less we blasted away.

We didn't measure the groups but I'm very sure the majority of the rounds impacted within 6" of point of aim so about 12 inches for group size. It was a little difficult to stay on target, the bull is 6.75 and the rest of the target is white, I was using a 3.5 x 10 Leupold M3LR. I was using the 260 Accubond Ian suggested a while back... guess I'll need to order some more of those 260's!!
"

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.