300 win mag vs 300 rum

trying to find out weather the 300 rum is worth the recoil, barrel life and price for components over the 300 win mag.

thanks

I think this question is in the wrong topic/section of the website... However, I can honestly say it's all a matter of how heavy your rifle is and how "allergic" you are to recoil.

I have both and I use the RUM when shooting distance...Plus the ballistics are amazing

after third bbl in .300RUM toasted at 832 round count, I went back to 300 WIN.,
don't really notice a difference at long range.

trying to find out weather the 300 rum is worth the recoil, barrel life and price for components over the 300 win mag.

thanks
I'm a RUM guy but..

Yes the barrel will last longer in the WinMag chambering. IMO 832 rounds ain't bad for a RUM you will get more from a WinMag shot the same way.

No the WinMag can not reach the velocity and range of the RUM, physics is immutable.

The decision is always going to be difficult. You will need to "want" something that the other doesn't have.

I'm a RUM guy but..

Yes the barrel will last longer in the WinMag chambering. IMO 832 rounds ain't bad for a RUM you will get more from a WinMag shot the same way.

No the WinMag can not reach the velocity and range of the RUM, physics is immutable.

The decision is always going to be difficult. You will need to "want" something that the other doesn't have.

Totally agree... For me... I wanted the ballistics, no matter the recoil or barrel life

just get a 338 rum or 338 lapua....about the same velocity as the win with all the advantage plus of the 300rum. :D

honestly the brass is hard to come by these days and powder is just as hard, I think you can get away with some other powders in the 300 win and get good results but in the rum its like only a handful. with probably retumbo, H1000, and reloaders 25 rounding out the top 3. I haven't tried reloaders 33 or US869 so it may be in here as well but anything else and I have not seen the velocity run as good but this is just my opnion/results with my 300RUM.
for as the 300 win mag you can still find brass pretty easy and a 180 or a 200 grn AB works great in a 300win mag. there are at least 2 handfuls of powder that can run pretty good in the 300WIN.
But if you looking for that need for speed with heavy bullets then get the 300 RUM and then you will never say what if...:rolleyes:
Shooting a 300RUM in Remington sendero
Muzzle Break side ported
trigger set to 2 lbs
230 berger OTM
89.4 grns of retumbo
COL at 3.792 ( does not fit in mag..single feed)
velocity about 2966

I have two .300 Win mag rifles:
1. HS Precision med. heavy fluted barrel W/Rem. action
2. Browning A-Bolt with BOSS micrometer adjusting muzzle brake for adjusting barrel harmonics.

Both rifles are very accurate and worth every penny I paid back in the '90s.

But these days I'd rather have a .300 Norma magnum for its great ballistics but being less punishing than the .300 RUM.
A .300 Norma mag with Berger's great 230 gr. Hybrid Tactical bullets gives .338 Lapua ballistics (but not the same energy, of course).

There are online recoil calculators that can help you if you know your rifle & scope weight. Do the math.

I have two .300 Win mag rifles:
1. HS Precision med. heavy fluted barrel W/Rem. action
2. Browning A-Bolt with BOSS micrometer adjusting muzzle brake for adjusting barrel harmonics.

Both rifles are very accurate and worth every penny I paid back in the '90s.

But these days I'd rather have a .300 Norma magnum for its great ballistics but being less punishing than the .300 RUM.
A .300 Norma mag with Berger's great 230 gr. Hybrid Tactical bullets gives .338 Lapua ballistics (but not the same energy, of course).

There are online recoil calculators that can help you if you know your rifle & scope weight. Do the math.

If you reload your own ammo, the 300 Norma Mag is supposed to be pretty awesome. Finding brass and dies for it is a challenge I believe (just guessing as I looked into a custom 300 Norma mag about 6 months ago, it was difficult then).

LRH

The elk isn't going to know the difference. Having said that, I have both a 338 RUM and 300 RUM. You put a brake on them and the recoil issue goes away. My 300 RUM is running the 210 Bergers at 3,040 fps and is very accurate. The 4.5 to 30 X scope helps in that regard. It does 0.25 MOA on its best days. It does however burn 97 grains of RL-33 with each pull of the trigger so yes it does cost more to run. It is fun to shoot though, especially being this accurate. No bad choice here.

I was having a custom rifle built about a year ago and was asking myself the same question. I went with the 300RUM and I am very happy that I did so. Nothing against the 300winmag but my 300RUM is pushing the Berger 230gr Hybrids at 3,050fps! My load is out of a 28" Krieger barrel and takes 89.4r of Retumbo, Remington Brass, Fed 215 primer, and the coal is 3.899. Yes it is to long for the factory magazine box but when it shoots a 1.75" 3 shot group at 1,000 yards I'll take it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Though I own two .300 Win mag rifles I think a better thread topic would be:

".300 NORMA MAG. V.S. .300 RUM"

NOW you have a real horse race.

I'd take the .300 Norma mag. because I feel its long range ballistics are than the .300 RUM.

depends on how you hunt. At 350 i dont think any deer is going to know the differnce between a 300wsm 300h&h 300 win 300 wby or 300 ultra. When you get out past 400 i prefer the wby and especially the ultra. It still knocks the cork out of deer out past 500 yards. At those ranges i see a definate differnce in the smack the larger rounds put on game.

In regards to the two listed options, I think balistics is less the problem. They will both kill big things at long distances. I look at availability then cost. Where I live, 300wm components are much more available and cheaper than the 300RUM. Also the cost of replacing the barrel more often is a big consideration. So for me, if cost was no issue, I would still consider the RUM only because the RUM components are still available, but because it is, the 300wm is my choice.

Food for thought.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.