300 RUM scope

meatyrem

I just came across a good deal. I was wondering what you fellas would say about a vari-x 3 6.5-20x50 AO for my sendero. I couldn't pass it up for $375.

Does anyone think it's too much scope for a 300RUM ? It has the target turrets, the only downfall is it only has a fine duplex.

As they say in NASCAR, drive it like you stole it! You got a great deal on a scope that will serve you well. With a 6.5-20 magnification range, you can handle the up-close shots and waaaaay over there shots. With target turrets you can make those adjustments quickly (just be sure to keep track of the covers and don't step on them!). Although it sounds as though you are not a fan of the fine duplex reticle, it is fine. The only thing I am not a fan of is the AO. I prefer the paralax adjustment on the side of the scope where I can reach it more easily while peering threw the scope.

Thanks for the advice, Trebark. I had thought of putting my 6.5-20x40 LR sf with the varmint hunters reticle on my 300 rum, but I didn't want to mess with that as it serves well on the 22-250. So I am gonna give it a home on the 300rum sendero. I also picked up a 3-9x40 vx-2 that is gonna be put on my 280rem. I got that at a deal too. ( $225 ) Now, I just need another for my other 280rem, then I will be squared away:D

Your RUM can shoot sooooooo much farther than the 22-250. So putting the varmint reticle on the 22 makes sense. Then use those target turrets so that you can dial-for-the-distance with the RUM. One thing you might run into though is that you won't have enough 'up' in the scope to be able to shoot as far as the RUM is capable.

I think that is what is gonna take place. I'll leave the 6.5-20x40 with the varmint hunter reticle on the 22-250. And put the 6.5-20 x50 ao on the rum. I think I'll be fine for a while as I won't be launching projectiles waaaaay out there just yet. Then if and when I do run out of twists, I could switch to a 20moa base or so and go with that. I do have a 1k range near by, but I don't really have that far of reach at the local range. The 1k range is about an hour drive. Not that bad if I want to practice for a whole day at longer distances.

Your new scope will easily get you to 1k as you will only need about 25moa (or less). But your RUM loaded with the right bullet is capable of taking deer at 1200-1400 yards. Now I'm not saying you should take a shot at a deer that far, but it sure is fun to set up a steel plate at 1400 and launch one at it. It's at 1200+ where you might not have enough 'up'. If I were you, I would go ahead and put a 30moa base on your rifle now!

That'd be great if I could do that. I don't have much for longerange options around south mich. I'd love to launch rounds that far. At this point, I don't think I'd be going any farther than 1k but I would have to join the private range ( the only o e I know that reaches 1k )that's about an hour away from me. But before I do any of that, I'll have to work up loads and dial it in first.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.