Scope for 300 RUM

aaroncarp

I am looking at getting some new glass for my 300 RUM. Currently its topped with a vortex viper 6.5-20x44mm (this will be moving to the 22-250 :)). I am mostly looking at the Viper HS-T either 4-16x50 or 6-24x50. But I am wondering if I will be getting any better quality of glass if I don't upgrade out of the Viper line??? My buddy has the viper HS and it seems a bit clearer than mine, not sure though. Another guy told me that at longer ranges or low light conditions a lot of these other scopes would perform much better. I plan on shooting the gun out to 700 yards and eventually work out to 1000-1200 yards maybe longer.

I'm also considering these:
Zeiss Conquest
Zeiss Conquest HD5
Leupold VX-6
Leupold Mark 4

What I want is exposed turrets with zero stop, and a scope that will hold zero with the recoil of the rifle and have quality turrets.

Because I know a guy with connections, I can get discounts on many of these scopes, but by the looks of things I would be saving atleast $250-$300 by going with the HS-T (compared to the cheapest scope above). Which might help with the custom work on the gun I will be having done later this spring. So are any of these other scopes actually worth the extra money? Or should I just save the money for another year or two until I can put a Nightforce, Huskemaw, or Swarovski on top of it after all the custom work is finished?

It appears that the regular viper and HS-T have the exact same coatings. This might suggest they share the same glass....Vortex does not make note of that, however.

The way I'd look at it.....you have a pretty hard recoiling magnum rifle. You are spending some money in hopes of increasing your accuracy at long range. You probably wouldn't want to cut corners on the scope. I'd say, take a little extra time to save some additional bucks. Cruise the for sale sections on the various sites....you'll probably find a sweet deal on a NightForce NXS or Vortex Razor Gen I. Either of those scopes were designed to hold up to heavy recoil. If you are dead set on buying a new scope....I'd either save for the New NF ATACR 5-25X by 56mm F1...Seen here: http://nightforceoptics.com/atacr/5-25×56-f1

Or the Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27: Vortex Optics - Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 EBR-1C<br />(MRAD) The link directs to the EBR-1 reticle...I prefer the EBR-2C...but that's totally a personal choice.

My .338 Sin has a very gently used Premier Heritage 5-25X....that I purchased from the for sale section on a tactical forum that has a large following. I was able to get a lot more scope for my money this way...IMHO.

Good Luck,

Wayne

P.S.

I have a Viper 65.-20x by 50mm. I also recently purchased a new Viper PST 6-24x FFP. Both scopes serve very well......but I really appreciate what the top tier scopes bring....especially for long range shooting....and with heavy recoil. But this subject is very subjective and personal in nature.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts