300 Win Mag out of 300 Wby Mag

Gus McCrae

Mods...if this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it.

I'll preface this picture with, this was not shot out of my rifle.

A group of us were out shooting the day before the November rifle season opener last Friday and I was collecting everyone's brass. Well...I got to sorting through it and found this:

9062d073-dee9-44d8-b4d3-93ae66402b57_zpsbab10996.jpg

My first thought was, "where'd the case neck go?", that and the shoulders looked like something out of a Weatherby, but the case head says 300 Win Mag.

It took a while to figure what was going on, but when the guy who owned the rifle said he was shooting a Weatherby Vanguard, both my dad & I looked at each other and had an idea of what happened. Apparently he was shooting a 300 Wby Mag and feeding it 300 Win Mag factory ammo. He said it was the ammo given to him by the guy he bought the rifle from.

I thought it was interesting.

Likely not the best accuracy, but being belted it headspaced on the belt and was likely safe. I've done that with 7rems out of a 7stw once or twice. The neck is nearly totally gone on that one.

You're exactly right. 300 Win fired in a 300 Weatherby.

I found some 270 Winchester cases the other day. They looked odd to me right away. They were clearly fired out of a 30-06. They were not 270s necked up. You could tell because the length was around 2.530" and the edge of the case mouth was smaller in diameter. The primers showed absolutely no flattening indicating pretty low chamber pressure.

I can only imagine how frustrated that person was trying to get that combination to shoot accurately. I don't know if the person ever realized the problem. There were 16 cases like that.

That is amazing the shooter never realized the difference. If he was a handloader I think he would have noticed the short necks and stopped shooting.

I have seen a few SA cases shot in a longer chamber. The shoulder is gone and there were four splits evenly spaced for the last 1/4".

I'm positive he wasn't a reloader.

I think he is just one them guys that pulls the rifle & ammo out a couple days before deer season and decides to go hunting.

What he sounds like is a moron, who bought a rifle from another moron, that's one day gonna get himself or someone else hurt because he's too dumb to look on the barrel to know the difference between a rifle being chambered in .300 Win Mag, and .300 Wby Mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.