300 win mag barrel Q's

jasent

I have a weatherby vangaurd 300wm 26" 1:10
I'm wondering what kind of barrel life I can expect,it has about 500 rounds down it sofar,almost all have been nosler bt's 180,165's and 14 factory rounds from Winchester. normallyis shot off the bench and cooling time allowed after 4-6 shots. Also what barrel would you recommend when I do replace it..been looking at a krieger 29" 10 twist in heavy varmit contour. May also look in to muzle brake,any tips? Have a howa black hawk stock on the way.

As a rule 1000rds is about it, give or take 200. Letting it cool is key. But if your not the one that put all the rounds down the barrel, then you'll never know, and the damage be already done.

As far as barrels go, any of the custom barrels you read on this site are top quality. There's a lot of them too:
Bergara
Broughton
Brux
Douglas
Hart
Krieger
Lilja
McGowan
Obermeyer
Pan Nor
Shilen
Rock Creek
Walther Lothar........are some of them.

What I will tell you is to first come up with a contour you want. Then check out all these makers and find one that is in stock( if any of them do) because sometimes there's a wait.

Can't help you too much on the muzzle brakes, I don't run them. My 300WM has a Palma contour barrel and is heavy enough where I don't need one. Lots of great info on that subject in the search engine, on this site.

Jasent,

I have tried alot of different barrel makers and you have a good overall chance of getting a good if you stick with the top ones. I also have a line of Titanium brakes that work really well, a 1.00" on a varmit taper barrel would make a real pussycat out of your 300 Win.

There are a few pictures on my web site.

I have a weatherby vangaurd 300wm 26" 1:10
I'm wondering what kind of barrel life I can expect,it has about 500 rounds down it sofar,almost all have been nosler bt's 180,165's and 14 factory rounds from Winchester. normallyis shot off the bench and cooling time allowed after 4-6 shots. Also what barrel would you recommend when I do replace it..been looking at a krieger 29" 10 twist in heavy varmit contour. May also look in to muzle brake,any tips? Have a howa black hawk stock on the way.

Are you sure your factor tube is 26" I thought they were 24? I could be mistaken though. I have put over 2000 rounds through a 300 win using heavy Bergers and it would still shoot a 5" group at 1000 yards. My current rifle has close to 800 and shoots 4" at 100 or less on average. I feel a cared for 300 win will go 2000 or more easily.

I really like the Broughton 5C for a 300 win. I prefer a 10 twist and 28" plus the brake for long range work. My favorite is the Sendero or Rem. varmint contour. I have found the JP enterprises Tactical compensator to be a good brake for many reasons.

Jeff

I have gotten 2500 rounds before accuracy starts to go away. I have just started coating bullets with HBN to see how barrel life is. I think cut rifle barrel tend to last longer as they clean easier. No science to back that up other than I get more life out of my barrels than other claim who have button rifled or OE Tubes. The 300 WM is an excellent hunting round and a pretty darn good long range target round out to 1500 yards with the heavy VLD's. It has it's issue when reloading. The belt can create an extra step. The case neck is short which doesnt help with barrel life.

I plan on a bear hunt in the next couple year so I am thinking of turning my Custom 700 into a 338 Edge for Target shooting. It has a 10 Kreiger and the Mcmillan A5 is already inleted for a heavy tube I dont want to take a 15# rifle on a bear hunt. I'd like to pick up a stainles savage in .300 win for hunting. It would make me sick to not have a 300 wm in the arsenal as i have a lot of time and effort invested in this round and have learned it's quirks.

Are you sure your factor tube is 26" I thought they were 24? I could be mistaken though. I have put over 2000 rounds through a 300 win using heavy Bergers and it would still shoot a 5" group at 1000 yards. My current rifle has close to 800 and shoots 4" at 100 or less on average. I feel a cared for 300 win will go 2000 or more easily.

I really like the Broughton 5C for a 300 win. I prefer a 10 twist and 28" plus the brake for long range work. My favorite is the Sendero or Rem. varmint contour. I have found the JP enterprises Tactical compensator to be a good brake for many reasons.

Jeff

I agree with broz that a cared for barrel will last twice a as long. I also have a 5c broughton on my 300WM and I'm hoping it will go 2000 rounds. But not as many people keep cool and clean there barrels as much as they should either. I probably clean mine too much.....but that's another debate:D:
Brent

I've got 1500 rounds through my browning a-bolt's ss factory 300 win barrel and you can't even see any shallowing of the rifling, but she's polished up good. I shoot mine cold and don't go burning through a hundred a day in the summer. Got it hot once putting 50 180 grain pills through in less than an hour, haven't let it even heat since.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.