300 Win Mag Bartlein Barrel q's

excaliber

I was hoping someone could help me out here. I have a Rem 700 bdl in 300 Win Mag. It currently has a 26" fluted factory sporter barrel on it. I don't know how much the barrel weighs.
Bartlein's standard sporter weighs 2.8 lbs. Is this similar to what I have currently?

Currently my gun weighs 8.75 lbs with HS Precision stock and scope.

The barrel heats up too quickly and I have to wait 15 minutes or longer to get it to cool down between groups while sighting in. RL22 really heats the barrel up quickly.

I'm looking at a Bartlein # 3 Heavy Sporter barrel at 3.50 lbs and the #3B Lt Bull sporter at 4.0 lbs.

Is this weight before being chamber and threaded? How much weight will these barrels add to my gun?
I'd like to keep the weight down as much as possible. Any ideas?

The weights of the unchambered barrels are approximate and you really can't go by them. The best way is to take their dimensions and compare them against your own barrel, if the dimensions are close then the weights will be close.

Bartlein uses a different contour numbering system than most other makers. Their #3 barrel is pretty close to most other maker's #4, their #3B contour is similar to other maker's #5. In other words, they're pretty heavy for a sporter weight rifle. If you have a factory sporter contour on a remington M700 then the #2B from Bartlein is likely going to be your closest contour. Is your current barrel a custom barrel? BDL's didn't come with fluted barrels to my knowledge and I've also never seen a 300 Win Mag come with a 26" barrel, all I've seen have been 24".

Bartlein also makes their #19 contour which is a direct copy of the remington magnum sporter contour, which should be what came on your rifle originally.

This was a BDL model that Remington made for Cabelas with the 26" fluted barrel. That's what I was told when I bought it at Cabelas. I've never seen a fluted barrel on a Rem 700 in this price range so I thought it was a pretty good deal.

Last edited:
I recently built a rifle in 300 Win with a #3 Bartlein and a Stiller action in an McMillan edge carbon fiber stock. Barrel is 25" plus a brake. Rifle weights 9.2lbs with a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 scope. Muzzle measures .699 at it's present length. I did not weigh the barrel after chambering and cutting to length but it will be quite a bit heavier than a Remington sporter.......but worth every ounce.

JM2C

I was going to buy a Stiller Predator but I already have an action and figured to save quite a bit of money using it. We'll see how it goes building on my Rem action.

I found a Bartlein #3 barrel and think I may just pull the trigger.

My 300 WM is on a Borden timberline, Mcmillan game scout, Jewel trigger, Holland break, #3 BRUX and a 5-20 SHV NF. Finish weight is 10 lb 2oz. A BRUX #3 is quite a thin contour. I was a bit worried about barrel whip but this rifle shoots incredibly well.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.