300 Win Mag and Hammers?

Mike, I don't hunt in temp swings that extreme... thankfully....
I usually try to do my hunting load workups during our colder weather months, so they line up with our normal hunting season temps.

I loaded up my 166 Hammers with IMR4831. Ended up seating .120 off the lands to fit the magazine...they're really long...or it seems like it too me.
Planning to shooting this week, hopefully I'll have an update....
Scooter

Hey guys,
I finally got a chance to shoot the 166 Hammers a bit. Umm...I think I like them...😁.
I tried IMR-4831 first..just because I have plenty of it. I had a couple groups that were promising but I wasn't completely sold yet.
I switched to IMR-4350 again because I have some....good stuff....lol
First time I've attached pics so hopefully theyll show up ok.
The group with the hole off to the right was my last shot of the 5 shot group, the first 4 measured just under .5 MOA.
I'm not quite as fast as I want...in the 3100 range....but they're shooting lights out. Planning on going up and down ½ grain and seeing how it goes. Then planning on stretching things out....

Thanks guys for the help and the input with these!!
Scooter
Screenshot_20220401-112943.png
Screenshot_20220401-112904.png

Your ES variation is 44.40 from high to low. Probable is some the variation in your grouping. If shooting 500yds or under nothing to really worry about. The why's is another story. I'll list most of them. Case length, volume, neck tension, case neck uneven, seating depth, ogive to riffling, and annealing. Not knowing how many times the case has been fired. Seating depth of primer. The list gores on. It all depends on what you want, and how far you want to chase the rabbit down the hole.
Otherwise not a bad group. With a 50pfs variation in velocity could change your group by as much as 14" @ 1000yds.

Hey Mike,
Thanks for the input...., I don't have the entire pic of the info on that sheet...I'll screenshot it, my ES and SDs were really good considering I hadn't done much brass prep, its some older used Rem brass I had laying around. I've got some brand new Peterson long thats waiting to be used....
Planning on working with that 72.0gr charge up and down a bit, I'd like to get a little more velocity but if something goes awry, I'm pleased with what I currently have going on.
Scooter

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220401-190029.png
    Screenshot_20220401-190029.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20220401-190016.png
    Screenshot_20220401-190016.png
    82 KB · Views: 57
Hey Mike,
Thanks for the input...., I don't have the entire pic of the info on that sheet...I'll screenshot it, my ES and SDs were really good considering I hadn't done much brass prep, its some older used Rem brass I had laying around. I've got some brand new Peterson long thats waiting to be used....
Planning on working with that 72.0gr charge up and down a bit, I'd like to get a little more velocity but if something goes awry, I'm pleased with what I currently have going on.
Scooter
I kind of wonder what brass you were using. You did really good with what you had.
Be aware that Peterson Brass has a smaller volume chamber. So probable should reduce the powder load some an start back up. So it won't take as much to built pressures. There so many aspects to reload it isn't funny. A large rabbit hole. I keep finding things that should be done in brass prep. I have 500 280AI Peterson brass and other brass from Lapua.
The one thing is the case prep only needs to be done once. Annealing is a different thing. Some only anneal once, others every 3rd time, and some of us every time. The annealing is setting up on how the tension is. Cut down on neck splitting. I didn't have the problem of split necks after that.
Case overall length from base to top of neck should be dead on to start with.
You can try using difference primer from difference manufactures can help. The powder I feel you can't go wrong on. I use H4350. In my 308 NM (Win Brass) which is a forerunner of the 300WM. I get 3300fps with 165gr Accubond. I am loading in the middle 70gr area. They take out a primer pocket in about 10 reloads. Primers are flat, not creator, and no ejector marks.
I have done a lot of reading and writing it down.
If you want I can email you the 40+ pages that I have put together. I haven't prof it totally yet.
My email address is [email protected]

10 twist don't go any heavier than the 181gr hammer hunter or you'll run into stability issues. I like the 152gr in 10twist sporter .300 win mag.
Not exactly correct, the 196HH is designed for 1:10tw and they shoot terrific (1/2 MOA) out of my Sendero 300WM 26" with RL26 @3150fps. This load data is listed in the HH load data page. I have not killed an elk yet with it but maybe this year.

Steve and Brian take great pains to provide bullet twist "requirements" that have been shown to be spot on. The 196HH is designed for standard 1:10 tw rifles and shoots well. I formerly shot the 200AB at 2940fps so getting a bullet 4 grains less over 200fps faster is worth it.

Mike, I don't hunt in temp swings that extreme... thankfully....
I usually try to do my hunting load workups during our colder weather months, so they line up with our normal hunting season temps.

I loaded up my 166 Hammers with IMR4831. Ended up seating .120 off the lands to fit the magazine...they're really long...or it seems like it too me.
Planning to shooting this week, hopefully I'll have an update....
Scooter
My 338 RCM jumps more than that due to mag length restriction with Hammers. They seem to like it, shooting .5"

Not exactly correct, the 196HH is designed for 1:10tw and they shoot terrific (1/2 MOA) out of my Sendero 300WM 26" with RL26 @3150fps. This load data is listed in the HH load data page. I have not killed an elk yet with it but maybe this year.

Steve and Brian take great pains to provide bullet twist "requirements" that have been shown to be spot on. The 196HH is designed for standard 1:10 tw rifles and shoots well. I formerly shot the 200AB at 2940fps so getting a bullet 4 grains less over 200fps faster is worth it.

You are correct. I forgot they came up with the 196 hammer to run in a 10 twist.

We just started working with the 166 HH in my buddies .300 WM. Started with H-4350 but didn't see anything out standing so gave Reloader 23 a shot and got a promising load pushing them around 3,370 FPS. Es was in the mid 20s so we have more work to do but if your looking for more speed it may be a possibility. We still need to check consistency but the load was cloverleafing at 100yds. I was very surprised at the velocity. No pressure signs and he isn't using premium brass.

Sound like you have the right combo. For 196gr bullet that's smoking down the lane. Some more info: neck tension can be crucial factor in lowering SD/ES. Annealing helps in consistencies with neck tensions.

Recent Posts