300 Win Mag and Hammers?

scooterf79

Hey guys,
Im heading back out to Colorado this fall for an elk hunt. I picked up a new 300 win mag last year and got everything all ready to go. Ive read quite a bit about the Hammer bullets and thought Id see what you all might recommend. Its a 10 twist Savage LRH(Heavier than I prefer but the price was too good to pass up). Ive never really messed with the monos much so Im not sure which bullet weight to roll with, but definitely want to try them Chances are that it will be under 400 but I practice to 5-550 just to be safe. I see they offer Shock and Hammer Hunters and theres a pretty large weight range. With things being the way they are powders are a little limited but Ive got quite a bit of IMR4831 on hand, a couple pounds of H1K, Re 22, and IMR7828. Any input/recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks for the help!
Scooter

Thanks for info! If you dont mind me asking, what type of speed are you getting, and are you jumping them much or seating them a ways from the rifling?
Thanks again! I appreciate the help
Scooter

If I remember rite I'm 40 off the lands with IMR 4350 and somewhere close to 3150 fps but that's been awhile and without locking at my notes it just what I remember

I'm planning on trying the 166 HH in my 300 Win mag this year. Getting to much meat loss with the Berger 215's. Go onto the hammer bullet forum. There's a very good thread on there with most bullet weights shot in a 300 win mag.

10 twist don't go any heavier than the 181gr hammer hunter or you'll run into stability issues. I like the 152gr in 10twist sporter .300 win mag.

Beeman,
Thanks, I'll check it out over there. I'm kinda anxious to try them.

Elkeater,
What type of speed are you getting in a 152....it's gotta be cooking ....
Thanks guys!
Scooter

Beeman,
Thanks, I'll check it out over there. I'm kinda anxious to try them.

Elkeater,
What type of speed are you getting in a 152....it's gotta be cooking ....
Thanks guys!
Scooter
I can't remember right off hand but it wasn't crazy fast. Like 3250 out of a 24" barrel

Your twist rate is on the slow side. I used 165 Nosler BT or Ab in my 308 NM. heat them up some and you'll have a good round. The problem is the IMR powder. It's temperature sensitivity. Hot and very cold weather effect that powder. Here a chart attached. Look at it.

Attachments

• EXTREME RIFLE POWDERS.pdf
    145.9 KB · Views: 172
Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it. I ordered a box of 166 HH to try.
Mike, I completely understand the temp sensitivity, the chart was interesting. Availability on powders right now is a big part of my problem.

GL Taylor, I'll be checking those threads out for sure....

Hunting Bronco, thanks for the heads up, I've got a little bit of 4831sc, but not much, I can still maybe run a few rds through my rifle to see how they do..

Thanks again guys, I appreciate it!
Scooter

Yes powders are hard to come by. Brownell had some H4831 in 1lbs the other day. It was $50 per lbs. 2 was the limit. It was gone in less than a day. It work out to be over $60.00 per lbs. High in my estimation.
I do see some powders still haven't moved. I almost got my hope ups here the other day on some H1000, but it didn't happen, and fairly prices. Not high or low.
I do kind of feel that more powders are going to show up here shortly.
I reason I had 8lbs of IMR 4350 & 4831 over 20 years ago. Change from 50-60 degree weather to 90 - 100 dr weather, and blew a primer out of the case. Gave away the powder. The other problem is I hunt in -20 to 100+ temp.

Recent Posts