300 Win Mag and Hammers?

I kind of wonder what brass you were using. You did really good with what you had.
Be aware that Peterson Brass has a smaller volume chamber. So probable should reduce the powder load some an start back up. So it won't take as much to built pressures. There so many aspects to reload it isn't funny. A large rabbit hole. I keep finding things that should be done in brass prep. I have 500 280AI Peterson brass and other brass from Lapua.
The one thing is the case prep only needs to be done once. Annealing is a different thing. Some only anneal once, others every 3rd time, and some of us every time. The annealing is setting up on how the tension is. Cut down on neck splitting. I didn't have the problem of split necks after that.
Case overall length from base to top of neck should be dead on to start with.
You can try using difference primer from difference manufactures can help. The powder I feel you can't go wrong on. I use H4350. In my 308 NM (Win Brass) which is a forerunner of the 300WM. I get 3300fps with 165gr Accubond. I am loading in the middle 70gr area. They take out a primer pocket in about 10 reloads. Primers are flat, not creator, and no ejector marks.
I have done a lot of reading and writing it down.
If you want I can email you the 40+ pages that I have put together. I haven't prof it totally yet.
My email address is [email protected]
Thanks for the info Mike, I appreciate it. I knows theres a bunch of ways you can go.
I figured I'd drop about 2grs on the charge weight when I go to the Peterson brass.
I think I can get more speed than I currently have, but Im sorta wanting to settle on something and start stretching it's legs a bit ....and I don't have alot of time to shoot with as many hours as I work....
Not exactly correct, the 196HH is designed for 1:10tw and they shoot terrific (1/2 MOA) out of my Sendero 300WM 26" with RL26 @3150fps. This load data is listed in the HH load data page. I have not killed an elk yet with it but maybe this year.

Steve and Brian take great pains to provide bullet twist "requirements" that have been shown to be spot on. The 196HH is designed for standard 1:10 tw rifles and shoots well. I formerly shot the 200AB at 2940fps so getting a bullet 4 grains less over 200fps faster is worth it.

I didn't realize the 196s were made for that. I'd emailed Steve and he recommended the 166s to start with, so I just went with those....
Thanks for the all the input, I appreciate it..
Plan is to shoot some today see how it goes...
Scooter.

Hey guys,
Im heading back out to Colorado this fall for an elk hunt. I picked up a new 300 win mag last year and got everything all ready to go. Ive read quite a bit about the Hammer bullets and thought Id see what you all might recommend. Its a 10 twist Savage LRH(Heavier than I prefer but the price was too good to pass up). Ive never really messed with the monos much so Im not sure which bullet weight to roll with, but definitely want to try them Chances are that it will be under 400 but I practice to 5-550 just to be safe. I see they offer Shock and Hammer Hunters and theres a pretty large weight range. With things being the way they are powders are a little limited but Ive got quite a bit of IMR4831 on hand, a couple pounds of H1K, Re 22, and IMR7828. Any input/recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks for the help!
Scooter
Reloader 26 would be perfect with 181 hammers!

IMR 7828SSC looks good, as does IMR 4831. The 4831 is just about 130 fps slower than the RE26. The 7828 is only 80fps slower.

So many choices and decisions to make....not enough time and components to do it....lol
Scooter
Reloader 26 would be perfect with 181 hammers!

IMR 7828SSC looks good, as does IMR 4831. The 4831 is just about 130 fps slower than the RE26. The 7828 is only 80fps slower.