.300 win mag ammo

They pop up from time to time.

If you're checking AmmoSeek, you're competing with me for it :)

They actually had it in stock on Federal's site the other day. They still have the 300 WSM in stock, which doesn't help me.

We are all in the same boat. Keep me updated on how they shoot if you find some!
Oh, they shoot great!

I shot them all Summer getting ready for my Elk hunt in Oregon this past November.

I have never been more impressed by factory ammo, no BS.

They were well sub minute out of my stock factory Bergara B-14 Ridge.

In my very humble opinion, Federal figured out how to combine match, high BC precision with a bullet that actually performs on game at all ranges. It sounds like BS, I know. You really have to shoot them yourself to see.

Oh, they shoot great!

I shot them all Summer getting ready for my Elk hunt in Oregon this past November.

I have never been more impressed by factory ammo, no BS.

They were well sub minute out of my stock factory Bergara B-14 Ridge.

In my very humble opinion, Federal figured out how to combine match, high BC precision with a bullet that actually performs on game at all ranges. It sounds like BS, I know. You really have to shoot them yourself to see.
I will definitely be purchasing a box to see how they perform. So many variations now a days and it's nice to get some input from others that have been down that road already.

I will definitely be purchasing a box to see how they perform. So many variations now a days and it's nice to get some input from others that have been down that road already.
If you read about it, you will notice that Federal transitioned from the "TLR" bullet to the "Terminal Ascent" bullet.

The difference in the architecture is pretty small. They kept the same weights and slightly lowered the BCs to provide slightly better accuracy. Their engineers have spent a ton of time developing the TAs and they got it right.

Are you guys using the same loads for deer and elk or are you changing it up from one season to the next? Or using different calibers?

Please Note:
The following information I'm certain you already are cognizant of.

I have not posted my particular findings as it in all likelihood will differ from your load data and may prove dangerous for you to use in any of your rifles.

This will be based on your rifle and the chamber specs in that every rifles chamber is slightly different due in fact to a tolerance stacking of dimension's when it is built. This is true as you are aware of from rifle to rifle even in the same caliber and even from the same manufacturer.

In answer to your questions Yes I have used the .300 Winchester Magnum loaded with 180 grain Horandy SST bullets successfully on Elk or similar sized animals such as Moose.( Additionally I have used my .338 Winchester Magnum loaded with .225 grain Horandy SST bullets with a BC of .515 driven by Alliant RL - 19 powder in the successful harvesting Alaskan game )
To me the Horandy SST bullet is a proven performer !
I have used my 30 -06 and .308 caliber rifles for deer sized critters .
In fairness here in Florida I have used the 125 grain Horandy SST loaded with IMR 8208 XBR powder on Hogs with very good results. The deer here in South Western Florida are just too small to attempt to harvest so I must travel out of state. ( The northern part Of the State near Georgia and the panhandle being the exceptions )

Fortunately we the citizens of the United States live in a very game rich environment and need only to purchase a tag in another state in order to hunt any species that are native to that state. In those regards I guess we still can consider ourselves and this great country of the
United States fortunate as other nations place restrictions on their citizens.
Best Regards to you and I sincerely hope that this information will guide you correctly !

Last edited:
In areas that elk and deer are I use the same load. Hard to carry two rifles at the same time, and changing cases to a different bullet weight would be almost impossible at the time of hunting. It's also hard to retain what the bullet path is with different velocity when you getting ready to shot. If you have Nightforce scopes or on that line, and a range finder, you can dial it in. So I have kept my shots to a max of 500yds, which most rifle can reach without much problems. I generally use a 2 x 8 duplex Leupold scopes, and adjust my hold by elevating my rifle. I know my bullets path. Wind is a little more complex. Before range finders, I use my scope to determine the range. It worked accurately. I use rifles that achieve about the same velocities. The bullet path is about the same for 500 yards or less. So it's a no brainer in whatever rifle I use. Now I am having a wildcat rifle being built. I am looking to out to 700+yds. I will get a nightforce scope, and I already equipment to deal with temperatures, and wind because I am extending my range to shoot. It's not an elk rifle, but will work on deer, antelope, coyotes, and wolfs, I don't know if that helps or not, but that what I think.

Last edited:
BT-1224, the Elk projectiles I used were Berger and Barnes. I have a few ammo suggestions for you. I would look into Barnes Vor-TX ammo
Hornady ammo with the Innerbond or SST projos
Nosler ammo with Accu-bond projos
Federal ammo with Swift Scirocco projos
I keep forgetting Sierra "game changer" ammo and SBR "controlled chaos" ammo.

I will throw out the 200 grain Federal Terminal Ascent.

I used it on my elk hunt and have also shot a few deer with it.

They have both performed well on game and also group like target ammo on steel.
I have taken 2 elk over 500 yds with the 200 gr Fed TLR, and 1 this season with the 175 gr Terminal Ascent. I shoot a .300 WSM with handloads and have never seen better terminal performance or accuracy. Main problem has been availability of the bullets.

I have taken 2 elk over 500 yds with the 200 gr Fed TLR, and 1 this season with the 175 gr Terminal Ascent. I shoot a .300 WSM with handloads and have never seen better terminal performance or accuracy. Main problem has been availability of the bullets.
Finally! A guy that has actually handloaded these bullets. I appreciate you sharing.

What kind of velocities are you getting with your handloads from the 300 wsm with the 200 grain pills?

CC
Finally! A guy that has actually handloaded these bullets. I appreciate you sharing.

What kind of velocities are you getting with your handloads from the 300 wsm with the 200 grain pills?
200 gr: 62.9 gr RL16, CCI 250 Primer, 2830 fps. 175 gr: 64.8 gr RL16, CCI 250 Primer, 2990 fps. I was able to get more speed out of both loads without pressure signs, but these loads produced the best groups. I have had good results with RL16. I now live and develop my loads in AZ and hunt elk out of our cabin in MT. The powder has much better temperature stability. By the way, my last name is Mercer!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.