most accurate .300 Win Mag?

Buzzsaw

decided not to reload for my SAKO 85 1X11 TWIST rifle. i don't want to spend $1000 on testing different factory loads. i believe any of the premium loads will kill but I love great accuracy.

i'm leaning towards the Hornady 200GR ELDX what are yall elk killers finding in your .300 WINCHESTER MAGNUM FACTORY RIFLES?

.300 win mag only please. try to keep this thread "on the rails"

thanks

The ELD-X is not a bullet I would choose for Elk in any weight.
I have had very good results with 200g Accubonds, the Winchester factory ammo is very accurate in my mates rifle.
I do not run factory stuff, but the Accubond is a bullet that always works and is very accurate in my experience.
My mate also uses the CT Ballistic Tip, the one with the red tip, it isn't an Accubond, but works well.

Cheers.

If you get the perfect shot, then it shouldn't be a problem? I tend to agree with @MagnumManiac and even with a 220edlx being heavier another bullet design would be best. Something with a thicket jacket interbond or interlock with a possibly better weight retention on such a big animal. With all that being typed, I haven't shot anything larger than a whitetail (small caliber was used). Are you set on any specific weight to velocity and max range?

D8D2200B-58E6-493D-8666-02BA3637E5E1.jpeg

Heres 3 diff powder charge weights, 3 shot groups from Bergara 300 win mag 220 eldx. H1000. Not factory loads but the eldx 220 shoots good in my factory Bergara.

Thanks guys for taking the time to shoot me some ideas.

All are so hard to find these days

All I can find are the 200 ELDX.

Hunt isnt till December but I have to sandwich in between 2 knee replacements Sept 20 and January☹️

The 200 AB is accurate in my 300 WM and had a perfect mushroom after going through my bull moose and stopping under the hide on the off shoulder. 70% weight retention.

I wouldn't shy from a 200 grain partition or a 200 gr Gameking either. The AB and GK will both shoot a little flatter due to their BC.

Thanks guys for taking the time to shoot me some ideas.

All are so hard to find these days

All I can find are the 200 ELDX.

Hunt isnt till December but I have to sandwich in between 2 knee replacements Sept 20 and January☹️

So your doing total replacements inside of 5 months and hunting elk in between?

Is it a flatland elk hunt (not the Rockies) and or a guided ranch hunt or are you just one tough stubborn bugger...:)?

(side note, I've had 6 knee surgeries and one total replacement and have one more total to go. )

actually I'm going to South Texas for a Nilgai Antelope hunt, many arent familiar with this antelope, so elk is the closest I can think of.. Mostly spot and stalk from ATV's. Fairly flat but not a football field. Hoping I'll be good enough, cuz I get my left knee replaced in January.

They say shoot a minimum of .300 mag. prefer a .338 cause they are notoriously tough animals and the guide dont like a long trailing game with so many huge rattlesnakes there.

Meat is excellent

Totally get that, Nilgai are one of the critters on my hit list. That I'd do in between the surgeries, hit your PT hard and don't give an inch on it...

Good luck on both hunt and knee replacements. Had both of mine done in 2010 one in January and one in November. Recumbent bike at 19 days helped with the knee replacement. Six week checkup walked into Dr. office no cane needed. I shot 180gr with 300 win mag. have worked well on elk for me. Good Luck. Knee surgery will give you good mobility. But do exercises as specified religiously.

If the 200g ELD-X is all you can get your hands on, you better pick your shot carefully and not hit large bones.
I tried hunting with the 208g A-MAX on Australian Sambar deer….it didn't go well.
Frontal shots the bullet would explode when hitting the spine, same thing on high shoulder shots and the ONLY time they held together was shooting behind the shoulder for a double lung shot, no bones other than a rib or two.

Hope your surgery bodes you well afterwards, my shoulder surgery took a good 12 months before I could shoot a rifle again….then I destroyed the opposite shoulder taking all the load on that one, it is irreparably damaged unfortunately.
Good luck with your hunt.

Cheers.