270 win vs 300 mag using factory ammo

Thanks for the info guys. I'll keep shooting the 270, but I'll probably either buy a new rifle before November or take up the guys on the loaner offers(300 win mag or the mighty 338 Lapua).

My plans initially was to limit the 270 win to 300 yards or less.

Keep it simple and go with what you can shoot best and consistently (shot placement) for your personal max range ability/limitation (to include your equipment set-up and ammo) and intended purpose.

"My" unwritten rule is a KE of 1000 FT/LBS for deer size game and 1500 FT/LBS for elk size game at POI. "My" self-imposed max range is 1000 yards (at least at the moment) on game regardless of chambering.

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Ed

...been hunting elk for over 35 years with a 270 Win and it has always done the job. I wouldn't turn down a 300 WM, but I wouldn't sell a270 to buy one either. It's more about shot placement. From the ground up, I would probably be thinking about a 338 WM.

Thanks for the replys. Since starting this post, I have decided to reload. I just pulled the trigger on a new savage 116 FCSS 7mm rem for 550 and last week I got a vortex viper pst 4-16x50 FFP demo from cabelas for 384. I plan to travel with both and hope to take game with both.

Thanks for all the help. My new savage 116 FCSS 7mm topped with the Vortex made 1st shot hits at 500 and 800 yards. The 1000 yard shot needed a windage correction.
Next is to bring the trigger down from 4 lbs. The eldx Factory ammo bc and speed seem to be spot on. No chart correction needed from 500 out to 1000. This was my first time shooting over 200 yards.

BTW. I still shoot better with the 270. I think it's because the 270 has a 2lb trigger.

Thanks for all the help. My new savage 116 FCSS 7mm topped with the Vortex made 1st shot hits at 500 and 800 yards. The 1000 yard shot needed a windage correction.
Next is to bring the trigger down from 4 lbs. The eldx Factory ammo bc and speed seem to be spot on. No chart correction needed from 500 out to 1000. This was my first time shooting over 200 yards.

BTW. I still shoot better with the 270. I think it's because the 270 has a 2lb trigger.

Great work! You must be happy with your decision! :)

The short story.

Discovered a scope problem with 7mm at the range 4 days before leaving.

With the 7mm degraded, back to the tack driving 270 win. I had shot her out to 500 at the range. We took a cow at 280 yards. DRT 150 grain nosler partition.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts