.300 win mag/165gr Interlock

ropeNshoot

I loaded up a batch of 165gr Hornady Interlock bullets last night for the .300win mag. Powder is RL-22 with WLRM primers and rem brass. Rifle is Ruger M77 mkII. I used the ocw method for powder charge and loaded three for every given charge weight seated to the canneleur for crimping for a 3.350" COAL. Anybody have any experience with this load/rifle?

I like a good revival.

I've been tasked with developing a load for my hunting buddy's 300WM using the 165g Interlock. He wants more lethal range than what his current load of 73g RL22 w/168g TTSX gives him (this load goes over pressure in temps above 75 degrees) - which is about 350 yards in his experience, keeping impact velocity above 2400fps. I'd like not to use RL22 for the new load. Does anyone have any load data and on game experience with this projectile at longer ranges - say 400+ out of a 300WM? Antelope, Deer and Elk on on his hunting agenda this season. TIA

I loaded up a batch of 165gr Hornady Interlock bullets last night for the .300win mag. Powder is RL-22 with WLRM primers and rem brass. Rifle is Ruger M77 mkII. I used the ocw method for powder charge and loaded three for every given charge weight seated to the canneleur for crimping for a 3.350" COAL. Anybody have any experience with this load/rifle?
Wow…..I wish I'd looked at the origin post date! This one has probably reached it's "expiration date"! 😁

ropeNshoot, I just noticed that you haven't posted a lot here and you're from Sumrall. My stepmother was from Sumrall and I have lots of "ex in-laws" from just east of Laurel!

Now, down to business. I happen to like Hornady Interlocks….with a caveat or two. Making a couple of assumption, likely incorrect, they will primarily be used on Whitetails and also likely some shots will be a close range! If I'm correct, it's not a big deal if they're used on Whitetails…..if elk sized game is on the menu and shots are taken at close range you may be a bit disappointed!

My experience with a close range hit at moderately high velocity shows a pretty, fully expanded bullet which lost 40% of it's weight. With the wide surface and loss of weight…..penetration suffered. The shot was behind the shoulder on a young spike (small) elk, hitting only a rib on entry, yet failed to exit…..and this was a 270 grain .375 bullet bullet with an mv of only 2900 fps. You're mv is likely somewhat higher…..suggesting that your bullet will have a proportionally larger surface area and shed more weight! At lower impact velocities…..they do everything you could ask of a cup and core

Yes, the elk was killed…..but, I expect better, deeper penetration from my bullets as deer and antelope are on the smaller end of our hunting spectrum!

Good Luck with your 300 Win! memtb

Last edited: