300 win and 215 hybrid user's?

Lonewolf74

Ok long story short I'm having the chamber recut on my rifle and doing it to specifically run the 215 hybrid. My Smith is going to set throat 0 (touching lands) based on my dummy rounds.

What I'm looking for is the average seating depth you guy's have been running with these bullets. I know there's variables and most won't be identical so I wanna find a middle of the road type a thing.

So if you could tell me.
1) what is your overall length base to ogive (measured with comparator)?
2) how far off the lands are you at that OAL?

You are way over thinking this. I seriously doubt you are going to find anyone on here with more combined experience with the 300 WM and 215 than Broz and Rhian. The SAAMI reamer will serve you well and if you are hell bent on getting it custom throated just seat a 215 .040 longer than the boat tail junction at the neck shoulder junction. The particular rifle is going to have far more affect on the accuracy and velocity than a few thousandths in your throat.

You are way over thinking this. I seriously doubt you are going to find anyone on here with more combined experience with the 300 WM and 215 than Broz and Rhian. The SAAMI reamer will serve you well and if you are hell bent on getting it custom throated just seat a 215 .040 longer than the boat tail junction at the neck shoulder junction. The particular rifle is going to have far more affect on the accuracy and velocity than a few thousandths in your throat.

That is what I'm doing and I was over thinking it before. The problem is the dummy rounds I made are at the short end thinking I would have a little to work each way but he wants to set zero off my dummy rounds so I need to remake a couple at the longest OAL I would use. With my figuring and components that would be 2.935. And I just wanted an average of where others where at that's why I asked you if the 2.933 was touching or .040 off. Just wanted to make sure I'm on at 2.935

Ok long story short I'm having the chamber recut on my rifle and doing it to specifically run the 215 hybrid. My Smith is going to set throat 0 (touching lands) based on my dummy rounds.

What I'm looking for is the average seating depth you guy's have been running with these bullets. I know there's variables and most won't be identical so I wanna find a middle of the road type a thing.

So if you could tell me.
1) what is your overall length base to ogive (measured with comparator)?
2) how far off the lands are you at that OAL?

You might want to look at this thread and drawing posted.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/300-win-mag-reamer-186983/

That is what I asked. I have been in his shoes before. Sometimes we just like to over analyze things. I still catch myself.

lightbulbAgreed!lightbulb

Just trying to learn guy's. I don't wanna stick the extra time n money into this particular project to order that reamer so I'm just going with the 2 step reamer that my Smith has which is basically samii spec on the tighter side. But what we can control is the throat depth. In other words I'm making a dummy round with the ideal dimensions and hoping my Smith can get the chamber as tight as possible to it.

With the reamer thread I was trying to learn what made it a better reamer than samii. What do you gain or loose from the different dimensions or it being tighter hear looser there n ect.

Anyway I realize the best is to seat the bullet at the max length I would be willing to load them at and set zero off that. Just took me a bit to realize it's that simple. And where that max length is

If you do not want to buy the reamer, which I understand, just use the SAAMI as is. Do not attempt to get fancy and end up with something you are not happy with. My first 300 WM built by GAP was a SAAMI reamer and it shot great.

I used a min spec short throated 300WM reamer and then sent a dummy in for the smith to cut the throat to. The rifle is a trued Rem 700 with the bolt sleeved and has a 10 twist 26 inch 5R benchmark. Im using PRVI brass, fed 215 primers and Retumbo. I don't remember if I used a Wyatt's extended box mag or not so you'll have to check the length of the mag in the rifle type you intend to build off.

Loaded with 215 bergers the COAL is about 3.642
Measured with a hornady comparator to the ogive it's 2.870, this 20 thou off the lands
77.8 retumbo gives 2910 fps at +4C

This shoots right at 1/2 moa from the bench

The chamber was cut for the 215's but a while later I came across some of the Hornady ELD-X 212's so I gave them a try too

Loaded with 212's the COAL is about 3.587
Measured with a hornady comparator to the ogive it's 2.871, this is 10 thou off the lands
I'm also using 77.8 retumbo and chronographed 2900 fps at 0C
This also shoots right at 1/2 moa

I use a magneto speed

Both rounds fit in the mag and both allow me to chase the lands when they erode and still have plenty of bullet bearing surface in the case neck.

Here's the great part, they both shoot to the same spot at 100 yards and there's no need to re zero. I entered all the 215 Berger load data info into my kestrel and tried it for the 212's. The solution for the 215's works perfectly for the 212's as far as I have shot them to which is 1577 yards.

I've no seen any pressure issues at those temps but I have not yet tried them on hot summer days.

Bergers stability program says I'm losing some BC with the 10 twist but a friend loved my set up and had the exact gun built by the same smith but with a 9.5 twist benchmark 5R. This time the smith throated it a bit longer - not sure exactly but somewhere in the neighbourhood of 20 longer than mine. He uses Winchester brass and a little less retumbo to get the same speed. Even with the projected loss of BC from my 10 twist our kestrels give us each a solution that is within .25 moa of each other out to the 1577 yards that we shot to.

I've used the 215's on game and they're great, I'm yet to try the 212's on game but plan to this season. They're easier to get and cheaper so I'm hoping they work well too.

I don't believe your over thinking things at all, it's way better to get exactly what you want the first time and know exactly what you're getting.

Since the 215 bergers and Broz's thread came out years ago depicting his results on elk my 7's haven't seen a lot of use hunting and my pile of 180 bergers is holding steady under the bench.

Hopefully this helps you out.

Thanks for the reply 284. That is pretty much exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. I want it throated long enough to use the 215 but but not overly long so I still have some room to chase the lands as throat erosion happens or if I decide to use some shorter bullets.

What I decided on is seating my dummy round at 2.925 to base the throat off of. The max I would wanna seat them out to is 2.935 so at 2.925 I'll have .010 to chase.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.