300 Weatherby know how...

If you dont handload or have an issue spending $4/round on ammo dont buy a 300 weatherby.

A 300 win, 300 prc, 300 rum, etc will do the same thing cheaper if you plan to shoot factory ammo.
when bought my first 300 (1989) Weatherby from the start I went the reloading way. I did not have the funds I do today I still would not buy a box of Weatherby ammo.

I have a Rem 700 in 300 wby that I've had for about 30 years. Love the gun and the cartridge. I reload and it shoots just about every thing I've tried under moa. I do occasionally buy a box of the weatherby select ammo, because it's only a dollar or two more than a box of weatherby brass here in Fairbanks AK. Best thing is it just kills everything I've shot it at. OP, I really think you won't regret picking up a 300 wby.

I have been shooting 79 grs. IMR-4831 with Fed 215 Primer, Wby Brass and 180 gr bullet for 40+ years in German built Mark V. Always used the Hornady 180 gr. BTSP but traded up to Barnes TTSX about 5 years ago-better accuracy and very deadly. I tried
all kinds of the "new Powders" but finally went back to old school I-4831. Pretty good recoil but not like Sako 85 in .375. 9lb rifle was a bit heavy to carry in Africa but I had 1 shot kills on larger species of Plains game.

I agree with others on this thread, the Weatherby .340 Mag would be an excellent choice for the OP's goals. Since 1985, I've shot numerous elk, mule deer, black tail deer, moose, bear, cats, coyotes, mountain goats, antelope and other North American big game species with my Wby .340 Mark V with 210 Nosler Partition bullets. From point-blank, to over 500 yards; All one shot and DRT! The power, performance and sheer beauty of the rifle's wood stock make it extremely reliable and a genuine pleasure to take hunting. I have a safe full of other rifles, but the Wby .340 is the only one I hunt with for any big game in NA. And, I only shoot factory ammo. I've had great success with both Wby and Nosler factory ammunition. IMO, its worth the OP's serious consideration.

I have a Rem 700 in 300 wby that I've had for about 30 years. Love the gun and the cartridge. I reload and it shoots just about every thing I've tried under moa. I do occasionally buy a box of the weatherby select ammo, because it's only a dollar or two more than a box of weatherby brass here in Fairbanks AK. Best thing is it just kills everything I've shot it at. OP, I really think you won't regret picking up a 300 wby.
Fairbanks Alaska I have lived there back in late 1978 to 1985. 300 Weatherby Remington Classic model 24" barrel. A good rifle but when I found out a rifle for the cartridge I saved the bucks and bought a Weatherby MK-V SS a better rifle. These I live in Wasilla.

I have two 300B's both 700 Remington Classics they shoot 200 grain partitions very well - 78.2 grains of RE 26 - .75 MOA.
Best I've been able to do with Accubond is 4 MOA (I didn't try too many loads though!)
83 grains of H1000 and 180 grain partitions ~ 1.5 MOA
75 grains of H4831sc & 220 grain partitions ~1.6 MOA

I have VX2 and VX3 scopes on these rifles. 3x9 each as I recall.

I have two 300B's both 700 Remington Classics they shoot 200 grain partitions very well - 78.2 grains of RE 26 - .75 MOA.
Best I've been able to do with Accubond is 4 MOA (I didn't try too many loads though!)
83 grains of H1000 and 180 grain partitions ~ 1.5 MOA
75 grains of H4831sc & 220 grain partitions ~1.6 MOA

I have VX2 and VX3 scopes on these rifles. 3x9 each as I recall.
I sold the classic model to a pastor years ago for $300. I don't hunt anymore after I found out about Bison hunt in Delta Junction just too many other things to do. When I got the airboat, most guys around here too soft to hunt more than a week. Eleven days or more days the Haul Road hunt for caribou bow or rifle hunting. The airboat is just sitting I may try and sell it next year if a need to.

I like the big 30's and the big 338's for big animals. I have no gripes with the 300B, with the exception that sometimes a factory gun shoots well and sometimes they don't.
This is mostly due to the long throat. A buddy a 300B that he had a gunsmith accurize when it was new, I think he re cut the chamber with a shorter throat. That gun was very accurate with hand loads. One of his favorites was a 190 Berger. I am more partial to the 300 RUM though and there a lots of quality guns chambered in the 300 RUM and any gun shop could order you the ammo you want. I have one friend that shoots factory ammo from his 300 RUM and he shoots 180 gr swift scirroco's, not sure if remington loads these anymore, but his wife shot a dandy 6 point bull with this gun at 986 yards and had never shot his gun before! Most of my friends that shoot the 300 RUM shoot 215 Bergers and run them around 3050 fps. On my last 300 RUM, I shot mostly 180 gr accubonds and it was a hammer! When my barrel gave up, I built another 338 RUM still my favorite for big animals. When the animals are big, the 338 really shines.
I have a 338 rum in the works. Defiance crf with a 5 weight scneider. Laminated roll over stock. Ya I know I am old and like them. My reamer is from PTG with the bore rider throat. I haven,t finished it yet but I am expecting 3100 with a 250.

Like you, I had an Accubond fail on a large bull elk. Shoulder shot was from a 7MM Rem mag at 9 yards. Bullet exploded on impact destroying the shoulder muscle and did not penetrate beyond that. THANKFULLY I already had one in his lungs! I'll never load Accubonds again.
A man needs to be careful what he writes on here. If you say they are crap 20 will say they are the best ever and look down their nose while saying it.

I know long range performance counts too. A partition will open out of a big 30 at well over 600 I know for a fact. Now for you accubond and other long range bullet guys. Let,s put together a scenario. Well my 300 ultra with 180 accubonds kills like LIGHTNING!!! Now let,s go to the Bob Marshall hunting. Is that a 9 ft grizzly in that meadow? Wow he smelled the horses and here he comes!!!! That pine is at 30 yards and when he comes around it I am going to bust him. hmmmmm Hope your guide has a 340 with tough bullets to finish what you started!!!

I know long range performance counts too. A partition will open out of a big 30 at well over 600 I know for a fact. Now for you accubond and other long range bullet guys. Let,s put together a scenario. Well my 300 ultra with 180 accubonds kills like LIGHTNING!!! Now let,s go to the Bob Marshall hunting. Is that a 9 ft grizzly in that meadow? Wow he smelled the horses and here he comes!!!! That pine is at 30 yards and when he comes around it I am going to bust him. hmmmmm Hope your guide has a 340 with tough bullets to finish what you started!!!
The gist of this story is a bullet has to have enough integrity to stay intact and perform up close and under tough conditions. Why John Nosler invented the partition in the first place.

Thanks guys for all the good info. I just discovered one of my hunting buddies has a 300B to shoot. I didn't realize it because he calls it 'ole meat in the pot" Dies and some crazy hot loads too. He is a little off LOL! Good news is I can get some trigger time before I pull the trigger! And he has the reloading dies. Simple search shows factory ammo much less than $4 per. Really appreciate the guys who respond to my original query...

I have an 300 weatherby mag with a 26 inch barrel and have had ot for a good bit. I shoot 210gr Nos Accbound LR , H1000, 215M, and Nosler brass. Avg 3050 fps, 8 SD and 11 ES and in all my temperatures it sont ho transsonic under 1500m. All that said I love to shoot this rifle and it really puts the hurt on anything I hunt. If you want to get one a light 300 weatherby will be easy shooting with a break and the recoil is not bad at around 10 to 12 lbs. Oh its not hard to hand load for either.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.