300 weatherby and 165 or 185 berger vld hunting bullets

tjr

I was wondering if anybody had luck with either bullet? Trying to work up a load for each. Need oal and powder recipes. And what works best for you.

I'm shooting a Remington Sendero in 300 win. It really likes the 185 hunting vld's. I'm using h-1000, CCI 250 mag primers and remington brass. The bullets are seated .03 off the lands. Best 100yd 5 shot group was .27. Not exactly what your looking for but hope it helps. Check out the Hodgdon web site for load info. Its a good place to start.

Good luck

Never tried Bergers due to the extreme freebore in the wby. I here Bergers are very secant o-give, vs. tangent o-give like an accubond, thus the bergers are very finniky for seating depth and acubonds arent.
Im not sure how you could adjust them. I guess they would shoot good or they wouldnt and there wouldnt be much you could do with it at that point.
Hang in there, Im sure somebody here has tried and has been successfull launching Bergers from a 300wby.

If you want to run them through the mag you just change the powder charge and seat the bullet all the way in to about the o-give. Looks dumb but we've had some luck, the 210 Bergers shot the best and they shot very good, our Vanguard just doesn't seem to like the 185's but was WOW with 210's! I don't think dad has settled on a load, he's really avoiding the 210's as the have a little ouch factor till we brake it.

I used H-4831 and 190 Berger VLD's in my 300 accumark with Fed 215 GM's. I would start at 74 gr and work up. I seatd them .020" short of the mag box length. As started, with the Wby freebore this is way off the lands but in this 300, and a few 30-378's that I shot 210 Bergers, in accuracy was very good. My 300 wby with 190 VLD's was a 1 1/2" gun at 300 yards.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.