300 Weatherby against 338 Lapua

I built a 300 Rum just for a 1 mile Milk jug Challenge with the boys !
Worked up a load with 230 berger Otm's and Nv570....ended up at 3036 ft.per.sec.
It was alot of fun !
Love this! Sometimes I forget about my 300 Ultra, the only Rem 700 I have left with a factory barrel. I worked up a load a couple years back with the Berger 215 Hybrid and Retumbo at 3051 fps. and shoots lights out! Mile worthy for sure. Cheers, Jason

Love this! Sometimes I forget about my 300 Ultra, the only Rem 700 I have left with a factory barrel. I worked up a load a couple years back with the Berger 215 Hybrid and Retumbo at 3051 fps. and shoots lights out! Mile worthy for sure. Cheers, Jason
I grabbed a 7 Rum a year ago and havent chamberd a round ! Lol
I better get that out and blow the Dust out of it ! 😎

Rum Man

I'm in the market for going further. My custom 30-06 runs out of steam to get me past 1600. In reality 1500 is probably it's max. I took it to Yuma years ago to really stretch it out. We can get to 800 at a friend's place and there's a 1k yard range available to me.

I've been looking and narrowed down to 300 Weatherby magnum or getting the 338 Lapua. They are awful similar balistically between the two as I'm comparing them.

The 338 carries more energy, 100gr more will do that, and edges out on elevation. The 338 is much better against the wind compared to the 300. The 300 has the perks of I already have a can that size and I'm already heavy in to the .30 caliber for bullets Because I'd be using the same ELDX as in my 06.

My goals are to join the mile club with a semi luggage rifle, not more than 15lbs preferably less with glass. if I do get hunting opportunities at my friends in Wyoming, and not to specialty of a round that I can get components for. Are there other options I should look at before I decide. Something in the 6.5 or another bigger than .30 caliber that's good at distance.
If you want to really see a difference at ranges like that you need to move away from the .30 calibers. If you can get out to 1600 with the 30-06 (Which is one of my favorite calibers along with the 270) You have exceeded it's capabilities for the most part. I shoot target to 1000 but going to the miracle mile you need to seriously consider 338 LaPua which may meet your weight requirements, or not. I have no idea why you want a 15 pound weight limit for a target rifle to shoot at those ranges. Another thought might be a 6.8 western with a 170 gr or above. Personally if it was me looking to join the mile club (No not Mile High club) I would most likely try the 50 BMR. Experience in the Army has proven to me that it's more than capable. Only problem is the recoil and if trying the 50 BMG you want something a bit heavier than 15 pounds. Do your research and determine what you want and can afford to accomplish your desired shot. Don't be in a hurry. This is not going to be an inexpensive challenge.

If you go lapua go with improved or just shoot the norma. A lot of perks having a lapua bf in heavy 30 cal. 230 a tip bc is almost as high as my 300 grain otm's. Norma improved is a very nice gun too tune and shoot.
I was going to say the same. A 308/250 A Tip has almost identical BC to 338/300 grain.
If you are trying to stay in a 30 cal for component commonality I'd go 300 Norma Improved with 230 or 250 A tips.

I think 230 will work better. Bc too 250 isnt much more. But the extra velocity we killed 4 bulls this year with norma from 300 too 1140 all dead on first shot. It's lethal round

Edit: i mistaken 250 for the 300 a tip bc. The 230-300 isnt much difference but the 250 is good amount having higher bc then the 300. Anyhow 250 or 230 would do anything you want it too

Last edited:
I'm in the market for going further. My custom 30-06 runs out of steam to get me past 1600. In reality 1500 is probably it's max. I took it to Yuma years ago to really stretch it out. We can get to 800 at a friend's place and there's a 1k yard range available to me.

I've been looking and narrowed down to 300 Weatherby magnum or getting the 338 Lapua. They are awful similar balistically between the two as I'm comparing them.

The 338 carries more energy, 100gr more will do that, and edges out on elevation. The 338 is much better against the wind compared to the 300. The 300 has the perks of I already have a can that size and I'm already heavy in to the .30 caliber for bullets Because I'd be using the same ELDX as in my 06.

My goals are to join the mile club with a semi luggage rifle, not more than 15lbs preferably less with glass. if I do get hunting opportunities at my friends in Wyoming, and not to specialty of a round that I can get components for. Are there other options I should look at before I decide. Something in the 6.5 or another bigger than .30 caliber that's good at distance.
It seems that you have answered your query. "I" would go with the max rating of your .30 cal can.