Weatherby accumark 338 lapua

+1 on what Idaho said. I just put together a stiller tac338, brux, jewell manners t-5 with badger bottom metal in 338 norma. Roughly $2900.00 in parts. Only thing I would change is next time it will be a single shot. Lead times can be long on stocks so I would order the stock and then start gathering the rest.

Thanks guys for the input and prices. I will look at the norma and next time I'm over your way Nathan we can visit about it.
Jon

I own an Accumark 338 Lapua. It will shoot .5 or less moa with 300 gr. Berger Elite Hunter and H1000, Retumbo, or RL33. My favorite load is 99.5 grains of RL33, Lapua brass, and Federal 215 primers. Velocity averages around 2750 fps with low SD and ES. I have had it up to 2800 fps, but the groups opened up to .75 moa.

You will get exactly what you want with a custom build, but I have no complaints with my Accumark. I did get the magazine extension so I could load three in the magazine. It kind of gives it an Oberndorf look to the rifle.

Good luck in your search.

Thanks guys for the input and prices. I will look at the norma and next time I'm over your way Nathan we can visit about it.
Jon

You can shoot my Edge and 30-338 Norma Imp if you have time. Even though both weigh 15lbs you'd get to feel the recoil difference between 230's at 3045fps and 300's at 2830fps with H-1000 or 2990fps with R-33.

A standard Norma (106grs) sits between a 340 Weatherby (99grs) and a 338 Lapua (111grs) for capacity. My improved case holds 110.3grs in Norma brass (108.7grs in 423 Dakota brass) at .30 caliber so it would be virtually identical to a 338 Lapua in 338 caliber and a Edge would be about 2-3grs more.

If you look at the ballistics on my 30-338 Norma Imp. with 230's at 3045fps compared to a Edge shooting the old stand by H-1000 load at 2830fps the 30 is better for drop but gives up some energy. Even at 1500yds the velocity numbers and drift are almost identical. The energy numbers are down 300 ft/lbs for the .30 but the drop is over 60" less. I will never argue that larger calibers kill better, because I've shot a lot of game with .35's, .375's, and 416's, but a .30 with 230's is much more pleasant to shoot in my opinion. That's why I rarely shoot my Edge even though it is stupidly accurate. My 30-338 Norma Imp is too though.

well , I just fired my new Accumark Lapua today and the first 4 shots oughta the barrel went into 1 MOA.........that with a horrible 25 mph crosswind howling and no tuning of seating depth or powder charge......I gave up for the day with the wind continuing to pick up

so under better conditions and a bit of load juggling I am confident the rifle will shoot well

Mudrunner apparently had a lemon , but if you run a search on this board I think you will find that most Accumark owners are very satisfied

Buds gun shop sells a Lapua Accumark for $1750.......by the time you have a smith true up a m 700 some , chamber and fit a barrel and add a brake( which comes on the Lapua Accumark ) , get a decent stock , you are not going to get into a built gun any cheaper to speak of

with the Mark V , you already got an action compatable with the 338 Lapua , and the Criterion barrels the Accumarks use are well regarded

if I was going to gripe about any part of my new rifle , I would say Weatherby should use a heavier barrel more like a Sendero contour....the Accumark contour is surprisingly lightweight....

Flytyn and SDgunslinger it sounds like you have great shooting rifles and thanks for sharing your experiences. Can you get close to the lands with 300 grain bergers and still feed from the magazine?
Nathan I would like to go out and shoot those rifles. That will give me a better idea of what I want. Next time I'm headed over I will get a hold of you and see if you have time to go shoot.
Thanks
Jon

Jon....don't have any 300 gr Bergers so cant say for sure , but the Bergers look to have quite a long nose so I doubt you could get near the lands with those

I do have 300 gr Nosler match and 285 gr A-Max and those will seat just shy of the lands.......the Weatherby does have a 3.8 inch magazine so you got a little more room to play with

My cartridge length is .095 off the lands and easily fits the magazine. The 300 grain Elite Hunter bullets do not seem to be that fussy on distance from lands. The Accumark is one of my go to elk rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.