Weatherby Mkv Accumark 338 LM

LRHWAL

So the search function is my friend, but didn't seem to find me anything meaningful.

I'm looking for any feedback on this rifle.

This is one of the big 33's available here in factory configuration and whilst pricey it may be something I want to consider. It's a 26" barrel with a 2" brake. It is quite light at around 8.5 Lbs according to the catalogue, so lets say 10.5 lbs scoped and ready to go. I'm quite a Weatherby fan and I like the MkV action size for the LM case. I've not seen any CZ550's here in 338 LM, although a custom on a CZ is a possibility. The custom actions cost a bomb over here.

Other alternatives are the Sako 85 XL, various Savages from time to time and the now very expensive TRG. I've never seen a 338 RUM in a store.

I may just consider a custom 340 Wby (more economical to do because of the action size required vs the LM) as currently the domestic powders don't seem to do much better in the LM than the 340, but we are holding our breath for the introduction of a new slower propellant, or potentially for importation of Vithavouri to start, but we've hoped this would happen for ages and it will be expensive landed. LM brass is likely better than Weatherby / Norma and certainly easier to come by.

Thanks for any input.

WAL

Last edited:
I am well satisfied with my Mark V 338. I have also had or have custom 338 LM's built (GA Precision) on the CZ 550 action. Both of them are fantastic rifles, even though the only thing in common with the builds was the action and the caliber. It takes some extra work to be able to use common scope mounts on the CZ action. They are similar to Sako in that regard. IMO it is hard to beat the Mark V Weatherby for the money.

I have an Accumark in 338-378 and its a great rifle. I bedded the action and lightened up the trigger before shooting it. The first group fired out of my gun was 1" on the nose. After brief load development it shoots between 1/2 to 3/4 MOA unless I happen to yank something. This is shooting 250 grain Accubonds. Best factory rifle I've ever bought.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.