338 Lapua Weatherby Accumark ?

sdgunslinger

thinking about the purchase of one of these rifles , but wondering why they come with a chrome-moly barrel , rather than stainless like all the other Accumark calibers ?

Don't worry, the stainless Accumark barrels are no better off than a factory Remington or Savage barrel. For the last 10 years or so, Weatherby has swapped them to button-rifled Criterion barrels instead of the higher quality (and priced) Krieger cut-rifled barrels that they used to use in the Accumark lineup.

thinking about the purchase of one of these rifles , but wondering why they come with a chrome-moly barrel , rather than stainless like all the other Accumark calibers ?

My first guess is because, for some reason they think that cartridge needs the stronger material.

Popularity and most guys shooting the 338Lapua are tactical guys that don't like shiny stuff and their not typically hunters though some are, get a 340 anyway. I own five Weatherby's and they are all great shooters. I wouldn't trade 5 Remingtons for any one of my Weatherby's and that includes a Vanguard as well. Talk about quality going in the trash research Remington lately? LOL

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.