338 lapua/weatherby bullet insights needed

wildcat westerner

Hello,
A neighbor dropped off his 338 Lapua, Weatherby for my insights. Rifle has been to Africa and will be returning there for plains game.
It seems well made and has a good recoil pad and muzzle brake. I tried it at 100 yards with S&B ammo with 250 gr bthp and they "keyholed"! A call to Weatherby and they told me the rifle was built in 2015 and twist rate was One in 9.3. Seems the Bullets should have been stable to me. Weatherby has no clue! Bore has no copper fouling or any kind of obstructions due to muzzle brake. If I were to hunt Elk at potentially very long ranges, with the cartridges' velocity and retained energy, this would be a very good choice.
I shall be testing this rifle again on Monday. The owner wants to reload, and I could use experienced help in choosing a 250 grain hunting bullet for this cartridge, in this Weatherby rifle. It amazed me to discover the cost of this commercial ammunition. My current choice of Bullets is the Hornady ELDX in terms of accuracy to 800 yards in both 300 WSM and also the ultra flat 6.5 Sherman. My experience with these Hornadys' has been limited to a single year. So, if you have experience with this caliber, especially in this line of rifles, let me know. Thanks, in advance,
WW

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.