300 Weatherby against 338 Lapua

Nomad458

I'm in the market for going further. My custom 30-06 runs out of steam to get me past 1600. In reality 1500 is probably it's max. I took it to Yuma years ago to really stretch it out. We can get to 800 at a friend's place and there's a 1k yard range available to me.

I've been looking and narrowed down to 300 Weatherby magnum or getting the 338 Lapua. They are awful similar balistically between the two as I'm comparing them.

The 338 carries more energy, 100gr more will do that, and edges out on elevation. The 338 is much better against the wind compared to the 300. The 300 has the perks of I already have a can that size and I'm already heavy in to the .30 caliber for bullets Because I'd be using the same ELDX as in my 06.

My goals are to join the mile club with a semi luggage rifle, not more than 15lbs preferably less with glass. if I do get hunting opportunities at my friends in Wyoming, and not to specialty of a round that I can get components for. Are there other options I should look at before I decide. Something in the 6.5 or another bigger than .30 caliber that's good at distance.

I built a 300 PRC a couple years back just for 1 mile and beyond, Its kinda heavy but really stable and shoots really good. I picked the 300 PRC because I found brass and bullets for it. I have a load shooting the 230 A tip with Hornady brass at 2880 fps. I have 230 Berger hybrids and Lapua brass to try next. With that said there are many options to get you out to a mile and beyond. I would look at ammo cost and availability of components. Cheers, Jason

I built a 300 PRC a couple years back just for 1 mile and beyond, Its kinda heavy but really stable and shoots really good. I picked the 300 PRC because I found brass and bullets for it. I have a load shooting the 230 A tip with Hornady brass at 2880 fps. I have 230 Berger hybrids and Lapua brass to try next. With that said there are many options to get you out to a mile and beyond. I would look at ammo cost and availability of components. Cheers, Jason
What's your barrel length? I'm getting 2700 with the 208 Amax in my 06 with a 26" barrel. Part of the reason I've been looking at the 30 caliber options more is I already have many of the components so I don't need to clutter the loading room with much more

What's your barrel length? I'm getting 2700 with the 208 Amax in my 06 with a 26" barrel. Part of the reason I've been looking at the 30 caliber options more is I already have many of the components so I don't need to clutter the loading room with much more
If you are shooting consistently out to a mile for competitive reasons you should go get a cartridge like a lapua or Norma. Something just for fun that is still something you can hunt with, I would do a 300 prc and go find some 245 bergers. You will have no problem getting to a mile. Mine does it and it's about 10 pounds with glass. But again it's all about how much money you want to spend. Any problem has a solution depending on how much you want to spend.

245gr Bergers at 2845 FPS out of my RUM. 13.2 mils elevation/2.1 mils wind at 1500 yards. Just under 10 lbs.

300gr Bergers out of my Lapua at 2800 FPS. 13.6 mils elevation/2.2 mils wind at 1500 yards. About 14.5 lbs

RUM shoots "nicer".

If you want the 338 to really beat it, need to go improved.

FWIW.

I built a 300 Rum just for a 1 mile Milk jug Challenge with the boys !
I used all cheap parts from this site . Remington action, a Long range heavy take off barrel 1/10 twist 25 " , used timney , a used McMillan a5 I had that was in rough shape . Once fired Nosler brass . 20 moa base , 20 moa nightforce uni mount , Burris xtr 5x25 . I dont remember my dope of hand .

Worked up a load with 230 berger Otm's and Nv570....ended up at 3036 ft.per.sec.
It was alot of fun !

Now if your plans are to go past a mile then jump on the 338 and 300 gr. Bergers, been there done that too !
30" barrel, 338 Edge out to 3027 yards !

Good luck to you in your choice and let us know how it ends up !

Rum Man

Both the cartridges you're looking at will give much better results than what you're using now.... but if you don't mind such a heavy outfit the .338's will carry the freight way out yonder. Of course, you could try the 300 Bee if you need to scratch that itch, and rebarrel to 338 Edge later if you wanted without much hassle. If you want to stick with 30 cal the RUM is awesome and easy to get accurate loads with.

Recent Posts