300 wby vs 300 win mag

300 win Mag Hands Down!!! Won more than weatherby could ever dream of.
Actually No one has won a 1000yd comp. with a WBY in any caliber just not accurate enough to much slop. SO Sorry!!!
Check the Books.
Statement is True but this is Fun.

Last edited:
m. I didn't see where OP ask about benches shooting.

This is his Statement

i am looking to determine the best all around caliber recoil and price are not an issue

The Best is defined by Accuracy, reliability, availability and Proven to perform. Not a someone's Oh I shot a Elk once in 40 mph winds at 1k DRT.

Weatherby"s are great guns and calibers. Just Not the best or Documented !

I thought he wanted a Proven caliber. That can compete with accuracy and reliability!
The 300 win has proven itself and has Documented it's accuracy!!!!!
Not a bunch of I did this he did this BS.

See attached picture.that's the op. I'm guessing he no longer cares or wants help…….

Attachments

• 5E7C0FE4-AAA5-4E04-A6A5-B04FF5A47199.png
    5E7C0FE4-AAA5-4E04-A6A5-B04FF5A47199.png
    97.8 KB · Views: 139
Actually No one has won a 1000yd comp. with a WBY in any caliber just not accurate enough to much slop. SO Sorry!!!
Check the Books.
Well you might just be looking at the 300 WSM results and confusing them for 300 Win results.
At Williamsport, the 300 WSM holds the 10 shot heavy gun world record group shot by a member here about 10 years ago.
To my knowledge, there has never been a record held with the 300 Win Mag.
On the other hand in the mid 80s, the late Earl Chronister set a 10 shot record using a 30x378 Wby with a rifle built by the late Howard Wolfe.
And it is roughly only about 1" larger than the current record.
So even back in the dark ages some excellant shooting was taking place, and much of it with Wetherby cartridges or ones having shoulder shape changes.
Bruce Baer built several record guns for people like Frank Weber for example. His 308 Baer uses the 340 Wby case, as does his 284 Baer.

There is not bullet you can run in the 300WIN that you can not in the 300WBY, and the WBY will be faster. Now if you want to compare a custom WIN to run the longer bullet, then you'd have to comapre it to a custome WBY!
I own and shoot 5 300WBY, 2 300WIN, I shoot 338 WIN and 338 LM, and 375 H&H. but the last three years I harvested with .243, .270 or 30.06, depending on how I feel that day. I took a big Elk with 30.06 and and huge Zebra with 300WBY. 2 shots on the elk, one shot on the Zebra.
Yes, number do not lie, the numbers that count that is. Popularity does not mean something is better. Would you be a VW Bug today because it was the Number 5 overall in sales? Its popular, YES, Better? NOPE
So, I am not going to change your mind...you have blinders on...you are not going to change mine, I am an engineer and you dont have the numbers that count on your side.
Shoot what you enjoy, I sure do, and I shoot them all, that is any caliber that is older than 20 years old. New stuff, well, no room in my safe and not selling any to make room.
You can run a heavier higher bc bullet in the wby at the speed of a lighter lower bc bullet in the 300 win. The beauty of the 300wby is you don't need a special reamer to ekk out the potential of the case.

Well you might just be looking at the 300 WSM results and confusing them for 300 Win results.
At Williamsport, the 300 WSM holds the 10 shot heavy gun world record group shot by a member here about 10 years ago.
On the other hand in the mid 80s, the late Earl Chronister set a 10 shot record using a 30x378 Wby with a rifle built by the late Howard Wolfe.
So even back in the dark ages some excellant shooting was taking place, and much of it with Wetherby cartridges or ones having shoulder shape changes.
Bruce Baer built several record guns for people like Frank Weber for example. His 308 Baer uses the 340 Wby case, as does his 284 Baer.
These aren't chambers to factory specs, different throats tight necks and more.

In one of my old Speer manuals is a photo of a five shot 100 yard group fired by a .300 Weatherby. It is .005" center to center!

Check the Books.
LOLOLOL!!! Like I have said before....I have won enough IBS 1000 yard wood to build a house with a 300 WBY....in both LG and HG!! The books you "checked" must have been coloring books!!