300 wby vs 300 win mag

Lol, I have both. They're both extremely accurate. Either one is an excellent choice even 7 years later. I reload but I've only shot factory ammunition out of the weatherby and it shot well under 1moa with it so I'd probably steer someone that didn't hand load that direction just from my own experience and not familiar with how good the quality is with the offerings for the 300 win mag. But I'm sure a guy could buy a few different brands and see what his rifle likes and probably be just as good

What does the 7 years later mean?

And I have a 300wby.
The new age seems to have the need to post something. So, might as well post the OP started this thread in 2014. The thing for most is information is never too old, and I could care less when the OP started. I think information is always helpful and historical information is priceless even though it seems frequently disregarded.

i am looking to determine the best all around caliber recoil and price are not an issue

thanks
With the minute speed difference I'm not going to get into numbers. I had a 300 WBY and 4 300 WM's over the last 20 years. The 300WBY was Thor's hammer, but I own a 300WM still. They're so close only Godzilla would tell an impact difference. The WBY was harder on brass seperation but my WM is harder on primer pockets, brass quality is surely the culprit. Norma vs Win brass.

I can't think of a single military or police agency that is using or has chosen the 300 weatherby for a SWAT or sniper role. I'm not saying the bee is not accurate, but it's doesn't quite shine like the WM in the accuracy department, and this is well demonstrated anywhere in history you care to look. The weatherby is popular-ok, it just never had the competition following that the WM had, sorry to burst your bubble, son.

Well Dad,
sorry but gonna have to dismiss you as another Wikipeducated gunny (gundummy)
Carlos Hathcock used a 30-06 & Simo Hayha used a 7.62x54 to earn their place in history, according to your mentality then those are the most accurat cartridges in existence ... simply because "snipers" used them with phenomenal success... as for military & police ? it's a well known fact that bureaucrat bs drives the cartridge selection not inherent accuracy of a certain cartridge or firearm,

I never claimed that the 300 Wby is more popular than the 300 Win Mag, my response was based on my experience with both the 300 Win Mag & 300 Wby and I've found both are comparable other than velocity .....

I've taken a good number of Alaskan game with my 300 Win Mags over the years & zero with the 300 Wby .... not playing favorites with either ......

I'd select the 300 RUM over either in a heartbeat, and have ever since it first appeared, just used the 300 RUM on a moose this past Sept, have multiple other rifles in 30 cal cartridges but chose to hunt with the 300 RUM ....

Why , no reason than personal preference, could have easily smashed the bull with either the 300 Win of Wby or 300 WSM or 30-06 or 7.62x54 R

Hi Guys: Well I too am looking for some guidance. I purchased the M70 300 whby last year and today received my 300 winMag a custom set up 30"bbl fluted bbl w/ mauser action. I shot the 300 whby all I can say is O MG. I put a pillow in my shoulder and it was fine after that. Im looking to test the 300 Win mag,
This firearm is from the personal collection and estate of Lieutenant Colonel Francis Conway.
the "father of the XM 21 sniper rifle" I am told. I like the long range shooting (to me is 600); with the M1c. I have a supply of 168gr SMK bullets and IMR 4064 & IMR 4198 powder. Im thinking this 300 Win Mag is my shoulder saver..... I'm curious. There is a big difference in stocks here too. in any event I, not bashing either but Id like to test them. They are really different stock applications. The 300 Win Mag stock takes up the recoil likely better and its weight requires more of a stationary set up. (Nothing wrong with that; there are situations where I prefer this.) The 300 WHBY offers more portability because of the stock, I think. (These things are just dawning on me.)

Attachments

• pix055310142 (1).jpg
    pix055310142 (1).jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Hi Guys: Well I too am looking for some guidance. I purchased the M70 300 whby last year and today received my 300 winMag a custom set up 30"bbl fluted bbl w/ mauser action. I shot the 300 whby all I can say is O MG. I put a pillow in my shoulder and it was fine after that. Im looking to test the 300 Win mag,
This firearm is from the personal collection and estate of Lieutenant Colonel Francis Conway.
the "father of the XM 21 sniper rifle" I am told. I like the long range shooting (to me is 600); with the M1c. I have a supply of 168gr SMK bullets and IMR 4064 powder. What is the difference in brass between the 300 Win Mag and the 300WHBY Mag? Im thinking this 300 Win Mag is a shoulder saver but i'm curious. There is a big difference in stocks here too. in any event I, not bashing either but Id like to test them. They are really different stock applications.
I have Model 70 in both 300WBY and 300 WM. I also have WBY MKV in 300WBY. The 300WBY has slightly more recoil than 300WM when shooting similar weight bullets optimized for the caliber. Thats because of higher muzzle velocity.
If I shoot the same handload in both my Model 70 300WBY and my MK5 300WBY, the recoil in the Model 70 will be slightly higher, because its a much lighter rifle.
From the picture, your new 300WM appears to be heavier, so flet recoil should be less.
Most my reifles have a brake, and a good pad, so I don't feel it. I use to shoot a 300WBY without a brake for years, recoil never bothered me. But it does bother many
I have never loaded anything less than 180 in either. I am not sure if IMR 4064 is an appropriate powder for this caliber. Hopefull someone else will chime in on this

I've had really good luck with weatherby's unfired brass. I didn't think much of the brass from they non premium loaded ammunition.

As I'm generally late for the party, if I attend at all......here's my valuable insight! 🤪

Recoil difference.....insignificant! Factory rounds ......WM much less expensive! Hand loader.....Weatherby brass.....much more expensive! Weatherby.....customarily uses 26" barrel, WM a 24" barrel to get an additional 150+fps higher mv! Weatherby.....typically has much greater freebore to lower chamber pressures. Help or hurt potential accuracy.....the jury is still out!

I reserve my opinion! 😉 memtb

Not for me. I have fired five shot 1/2" groups with Weatherby Mark V.

the "father of the XM 21 sniper rifle" I am told. I like the long range shooting (to me is 600); with the M1c. I have a supply of 168gr SMK bullets and IMR 4064 powder. What is the difference in brass between the 300 Win Mag and the 300WHBY Mag? Im thinking this 300 Win Mag is a shoulder saver but i'm curious. There is a big difference in stocks here too. in any event I, not bashing either but Id like to test them. They are really different stock applications.
If all other things were equal (weight, stock design) i suspect you won't find the win mag a shoulder saver compared to the weatherby. Certainly it should kick a bit less just by virtue of burning less powder, but not by enough of a margin to go from needing a pillow to comfortably shooting as is.

Well since we have come so far we should add, 300 prc and 300 rum to this as well and don't for 30 nosler or 300 Sherman mag. And don't forget the 300 Norma because I read on the internet that the military was going to switch to the 300 Norma because it was more accurate and had more knockdown abilities.