300 wby help

So I'm clear, you are using a regular primer for a magnum dose of powder? I seriously doubt it is the Bartlein but they are a phone call away...
Yes, I am and the rifle shoots 0.432" at 200 yards.
I also used Remington 9 1/2 NOT Magnum back in the 80's in a different 300 WBY with 180 grn BT. Look at some older manuals, they have some recommendations for Standard Large Rifle in a Magnum load

If you use CCI250 with the IMR7828 recipe I was loading, start lower. That was with CCI200

Have you tried any flat base bullets. I have a 270 Weatherby that just will not shoot any boat tail bullet with any reasonable accuracy, but does MOA with the flat base ones. The Hornady ones in particular.

I am running the 165 Swift Scirocco II in two 300Wbys right now. A Ruger N0.1 and and Mark V Outfitter. One is running IMR4350 and the other RL22 both lit with Fed. 215 primers. Both loads are shooting tennis balls at 400 yards and both are running right at about 3300FPS. The Scirocco has proven very effective on elk, oryx, and mule deer from 35 to 450 yards so far. Oddly the Sciroccos are finiky in all the other Wby calibers I have used them in, but I can't find a 300Bee that doesn't love them.

Hi there, I have a Montana rifle in 300 wby, I just had a #3 Bartlien barrel installed by a very good gunsmith. It has a great tigger and is bedded in the factory Montana stock. I broke the barrel in per the instructions. H-4831, IMR 4350 and a box of factory wby 180 ammo. I can't get the gun to shoot! It's a 1 in 10 twist. I cleaned real well with CR-10, then ran JB Bore Paste down the barrel, then cleaned again and oiled. the bullet I'm trying to get to shoot is a 168 accubond long range. The scope is a 4.5x14 leupold, Warne bases and Leupold PRW rings. I loaded a bunch more with IMR 7828, R-19, and AA-3100. Now, by the way, during break in the barrel was very very filthy. I'm hoping that the JB Bore Paste helps. I seat the bullets so it clears the magazine for magazine clearance purposes. All bases, rings and scope are top notch and tight. I'm told that IMR 7828 is the go to powder? Any tips? Maybe takes awhile to break in? I'm letting the barrel cool after a few shots as well. Thanks for any tips at all to get this going.

Greeting fellow Great Falls member! You have gotten excellent advice but you might want to slow down because it is a lot of information to process. "I" normally follow or a modified version of the barrel manufacturer's barrel break-in procedure and do not worry about groups until "I" have gone through a couple of boxes of ammo. For load development, once I get "my" velocity goal for the bullet I intend to use, I play with the seating depth (some might do the opposite). While the magazine clearance is a good starting point, you will need to find the best compromise between CBTO and COAL as well as a compromise in accuracy and velocity that your rifle likes. Sometimes there are extreme seating depths that a particular rifle likes. For instance, I wanted to shoot the 215 Berger on my .300 WSM and determined to make it work 😇; .160" off the lands was the magic depth for my rifle. But sometimes a particular rifle just does like a certain load combination ... ahh, the beauty and fun of custom reloading. :p

You got this, keep us posted and be safe. Cheers!

Ed

ADDED:

PM'd you.

Last edited:
Greeting fellow Great Falls member! You have gotten excellent advice but you might want to slow down because it is a lot of information to process. "I" normally follow or a modified version of the barrel manufacturer's barrel break-in procedure and do not worry about groups until "I" have gone through a couple of boxes of ammo. For load development, once I get "my" velocity goal for the bullet I intend to use, I play with the seating depth (some might do the opposite). While the magazine clearance is a good starting point, you will need to find the best compromise between CBTO and COAL as well as a compromise in accuracy and velocity that your rifle likes. Sometimes there are extreme seating depths that a particular rifle likes. For instance, I wanted to shoot the 215 Berger on my .300 WSM and determined to make it work 😇; .160" off the lands was the magic depth for my rifle. But sometimes a particular rifle just does like a certain load combination ... ahh, the beauty and fun of custom reloading. :p

You got this, keep us posted and be safe. Cheers!

Ed

ADDED:

PM'd you.
I'll be fine Ed, thank you...I'm processing all of this now....I may have to seat deeper to get results

I have a Montana Rifle action with a Lilja barrel in 300 Wby. I've never shot anything under 180 gr, but the 180 Gr shined with 7828. Any heavier and Retumbo or H1000 would shine. Currently shooting 212 ELD-X with Retumbo. Great velocity and solid accuracy. Has worked great on a few elk and caribou.

For my 300 weatherby I use IMR 7828 84.5 grains. Primer Fed 215M. 180 grain Accubond. Getting 3150 fps with no presstsigms and MOA accuracies. This my load. Work yours up.

My .300 likes 84 Grains of IMR 7828 pushing a 168 grain ttsx (Barnes) but I started with the same recipe on a 165 grn. and 168 grn. Ballistic tips (.75" groups).
The ttxs brought it down to .45"groups.
I also had a hard time with Accubonds.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.