.300 wby handloads

Danny1788

i currently own a weatherby vanguard in sub-moa .300wby with a 24in barrel. i live in california and have to shoot copper bullets, even though i hunt out of state as well, i have been loading the new 168gr tipped tripple shock barnes bullets. i have used imr4350 and rl22 and got some pretty good groups under 3/4in at 100yrds. i was just wondering if any body else uses these bullets and what they think and if they have any handloads i could try out i have a few powders on hand so let me know what u guys got in my case? thanks

Pretty hard to argue with your results. That bullet will kill anything on this continent. Bummer that you live in CA and have to stick to those expensive all copper bullets. FWIW I've played a bit with the nosler e-tips and haven't gotten the consistantly good accuracy that usually comes with the tsx.
RE22 and I7828 are my two fav powders for the 300 wby....I can't see changing a thing when you are getting those kinds of groups.....now get out and practice at 300 yds and see what happens. Good luck.

yeah thats my plan for this weekend is to get out and try to see what it will do at 300yrds how much it opens up. i have always had good accurcy with this wby its a good shooter even with factory barnes bullets. anyways just wondering if anyone had any special loads they use just for refrence.

Yes you are getting some good goups..

I run H-4350 in mine with a 165 Interbond, that will group .5

Stick with the H4350 and RE22 you are doing very well with the 168gr TSX. I get about the same groups with my 300 Lazermark. Was out to the range the other day and I was shooting 3 inch groups at 400 lazered yards shooting RE22 and Burger bullets. Get about the same groups using 180gr TSX and RE22. I have shot about 200 rounds through my Weatherby. Cleaned it again after shooting 20 rounds of Bergers today with Wipe Out and my barrel is so smooth I had no (none) copper fouling as I had no blue on my patch after a bore run through.
Stay away from RE25, you will guarantee 8 inch groups at 100 using this powder. I have not found a load or a caliber that I can use it in.

Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.