300 ultra mag

Travis1971

Hello, I have never elk hunted, but I'm trying to set up equipment to do so . With that being said I recently purchased a 300 rum. I see that shooters pro shop has decent prices on there nosler ammo.
Nosler Trophy Grade Ammunition 300 Rem Ultra Mag 165gr Partition for $40 and Nosler Custom Ammunition 300 Rem Ultra Mag 180gr. Partition for $45
Can any one give opinions on this for use on elk or other large game. I have never used any nosler ammo. I was also thinking it would be a good reusable brass. Thank You

Hey there Travis,.. While I'm not up on the 300 Rem Ultra Mag specs I am familiar with the .338 WM.

I'd personally suggest for you to step-up on the projectiles grain weight,.. something at the least of 200 grains to 220 grain.

Elk are big animals with big bone and lots of thick skin,.. personally I myself would feel a little more comfortable and confident hunting them with something heavier than 165 or 180 grains. I'm using Accubond 220 grainers in my .338 when Elk hunting.

JMO,.. :rolleyes:

The 180's should do just fine, but if you do start to reload, I would definitely start looking at the 200+ gr ammo. You will get a lot more out of the gun for longer range shooting. 180's will have no problem taking down elk inside of 600+ yards though.

Reload for my 300 RUM
Berger 210 VLD and Retumbo powder
The heavier bullets seem to shoot better from my gun

Definitely go with heavy bullets in that cavernous case. 180's at the least, but when I was shooting big 30 cal magnums, I found the 200's to be mo' betta.

180gr Nosler Partitions
89gr of RL22
Federal mag primer = 3,100 fps in my Remington and 1/2" @ 100yds. BooYa!
Pure poison to critters.

Use at least 180 grain bullets. Partitions or Accubonds. If you plan to shoot past 400 yds I would pick accubonds or hornady interbonds.

With all your case capacity and the slow burning powder that the 300RUM uses you'd be better of with the 180gr noslers. That being said, if your going to shoot your elk inside of a few hundred yards, I don't think the elk would tell too much difference given shot placement is the same. And yes, the nosler brass would be nice to reload, just buy a few boxes and you should be good to go!

180gr 300 rum is hard to beat for elk. Remington makes a hot load with swift bullets flat and deadly.

I have had my 300 RUM since i was 16 and I love it. My stepfather has the same one (sendero) and we reload and they are smooth shooting rifles. I wouldnt trade it for any other round especially for elk.

I'll jump on the bandwagon and say a minimum of 180 gr bullets for the RUM and 200 gr plus would be better.

I had good loads worked up for 180 E-Tips and 210 Bergers in my Sendero. Ill' be working uploads for 200 gr CEB's and 230 Berger hybrids in my new RUM.

i used 180 gr hornady sst's to kill my elk. my brother used 165 sst's to kill his. both bullets were complete pass through's. either weight will work fine for elk.
you dont need those big heavy bullets. that being said any quality bullet out of a 300 rum that you put in the right place will do the job.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.