300 RUM vs 338 RUM

Bigngreen,

Matrix also makes a 175 gr 270 bullet as well. I have not tested them yet but plan on trying them in my 270 Allen Magnum soon. From the reports I am hearing, the 165 gr version is holding up better to higher velocity then the 175 gr version. Not sure why, maybe different jackets but its certainly a good option for the 270 and badly needed.

Turns the 270 calibers into true contenders. In my opinion, the 270 is a bit light in any bullet weight for elk at ranges past 800 yards but these bullets give the 270 the ability to do anything the 7mm magnums in the same velocity class to do so another good option.

For deer hunting at longer ranges, these are a huge boon to the 270 cal family of chamberings.

Thanks, I will look those up for my 270 wby's. I have shot the 270 wby quite a bit for many years and have two with 28" barrels I would like to stretch out a little with the high bc bullets. I see what you were refering to now with the 300 rum and a 180 tsx. I was thinking a high bc bullet in the 300.

Bigngreen,

Matrix also makes a 175 gr 270 bullet as well. I have not tested them yet but plan on trying them in my 270 Allen Magnum soon. From the reports I am hearing, the 165 gr version is holding up better to higher velocity then the 175 gr version. Not sure why, maybe different jackets but its certainly a good option for the 270 and badly needed.

Turns the 270 calibers into true contenders. In my opinion, the 270 is a bit light in any bullet weight for elk at ranges past 800 yards but these bullets give the 270 the ability to do anything the 7mm magnums in the same velocity class to do so another good option.

For deer hunting at longer ranges, these are a huge boon to the 270 cal family of chamberings.

I've been very pleased with what the 165 Matrix is bringing to my WSM, my reamer came out perfect for them so I'm maximizing the case I feel. I was going to give the 175's a go but I learned a valuable lesson about buying barrels from a certain local maker, that you better check the twist rate before you give out your card number, spec'ed a 1-9 got a 1-10, should have known as there wasn't any marking on the barrel at all, just got a Brux in and it is clearly identified and spec so lesson learned! The 1-10 shoots the 165's very well though so I'm just going to roll with it, also have a pile of 169.5 Wildcats on order.

Ya, any barrel that is not clearly stamped for twist rate would be a bit suspect in my opinion as well. The 175s would likely be a bit big for the WSM class cases anyway and probably would not be any benefit over the 165 because of its velocity edge over the expected useful range of the WSM chambering. Not sure you would see much better results then you already are with the 165.

300 RUM Sendero & 230grn Berger Bullets 2950FPS G1 BC .743 Retumbo Powder 1000yrds 23.25MOA Drop 1650 FT-LBS Energy = DEAD Meat!!! At 2000yrds 80.5 MOA Drop and 600 FT-LBS Energy = DEAD Meat. I dont need anythang Bigger. No Need. I did check on the Matrix Bullets for the 270. Pretty sweet if the BC claims hold true. I have just never heard of them at any 1000yrd Compation. You would thank of a claimed BC that high beating out the Bergers 150gr VLD .531 BC that builit would make some noise at the bench, and in the hunting world. I dont have a 270 though to do my own homework. I do have a 260 Rem that shoots 140grn Berger VLD bullets at 2775FPS 27" Krieger Barrel 1&8 Twist 40.5 grns H4350 powder Killed a 170lb hog last year at 997yrds. 700FT-LBS Energy 1500FPS & 29.5 MOA'S hold. He didnt drop in his tracks but he was only about 30yrds from where he was shot. Bullet did not hit any bone but I could not find his heart. It was melted. Maybe I was just lucky I guess. Never needed a 270. Anythang My 260 cant do, my 7mag will. My 300RUM takes care of the rest. I do want to find out more about those Matrix Bullets though. That BC is incredable.gun)lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.