338 vs 338-300 RUM

albert

What is the difference between these 2 cartridges? In identical guns what difference in fps. could one expect? I thinking with 250 and 300 grain bullets? thanks in advance

I get over 3100 fps with 250 SGK and just over 3000 with 300g SMK in a 30" Pac/Nor with free bore and shoots sub sub min.So do several of my friends who have similar set up in the .338/300 RUM...I don't know anything about the .338 RUM as far as velocity...

Parkland in Sask is the area between the forest and the prairies. I use it as my home because frankly, I don't want to be to specifc about where I live/hunt. It's not a big deal on this board but to me it's sort of like fishing. Do you tell everyone where you are catching all the fish?

By the way thanks for the Info.

Albert,

I have built a couple of each and the 338-300 Ultra will give you about 75 fps in a 26" tube with either bullet. I have noticed that the 338-300 has an advantage with the heavier bullets and with longer barrels if you combine both the longer barrel and heavier bullet you see a pretty fair advantage in the 338-300, I've seen nearly 150 fps difference with a 30" tube and 300 SMK's all other things being equil.

Have you considered the 338-378 Weatherby? That another 20 grains of HP over the RUM case. When my barrel goes in my 30-378 It's jumping up to the 338 and it doesn't have to become a single shot with 300 or maybe even 350 grain bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.