300 RUM questions

ROYHUNTER05

Hey everyone,
New to the site and seeking some advice/ opinions. The forums are full of information and its been a great read but I haven't quite found what I am looking for. I am new to the long range hunting (350 yards+) and am looking at getting a gun for elk and one that will do the trick at a greater distance than 500 yards distance... for now. Now I am pretty sold on the 300RUM but am looking at which model would be best. I am not opposed of buying a stock gun and getting a couple modifications for now. Been looking pretty heavily at the model 700 sendero but was wondering what everyones thoughts were with that or maybe a cheaper model with a different stock, barrel etc or other combinations. Now I am new with the modifications to hunting rifles so any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

A Sendero in 300RUM is a great place to start. You might want to look into a semi custom if you've got a few more bucks to spend. The Christenson (sp?) Arms carbon wrapped barrel guns are nice. 10X Rifles makes some nice sticks. Len right here builds a mean stick for a fair price. My 2 Long reach toys are in 300RUM and 280AI but the 300 is a SLEDGEHAMMER at 823yds! I haven't taken any game further than that but don't feel undergunned to go further..

That's what I started out with and it is a good gun, put a trigger on it. The 300 Rum will do a number on elk. Don't short change yourself on glass buy the best you can afford, or save up and get a Nightforce. The better glass helps at long range, low light etc.

Welcome! You'll get lots of insight and opinions here. Mine is below.

If you can't afford to go custom or don't want to wait for one, the Senderos make great LR rifles. One of my rifles is a Sendero in 300 win mag with a jewel trigger and is bedded in an A3 gap camo stock. A true sub 1/2 MOA rifle with 208-210 grain pills.

Of course, I would try and talk you out of the RUM. You'll get a lot more trigger time out of a 300 WM with enough horse power to take an elk at a grand. Especially if you're 'new' to this game, you'll enjoy learning on a WM much more than a RUM. They're less finicky, have less recoil and barrels/throats hold up much better. The 300 WM is old news and the 300 RUM is younger and sexier but she carries STDs.

On a RUM, you'll learn how to flinch and by the time you work up your loads, work out the kinks, get a little long range time under your belt you'll be re-barreling.

I 2nd the 300RUM. I have one and got it bedded, braked, and the trigger worked over. I have not got the loads tuned in but that is this years project. Currently have about 30 rounds down the pipe. Using a 210/215 berger or a 208 amax should be good to around 1200yrds is my guess possibally 1500yrds. If hand loading the bergers to get close to the lans (.100 off ) mine needs a extended mag box so I may be doing some more work later. I here the 200Accubonds also work great out to 1000yds. A good break on the rifle make it nice to shoot. Pushing the 210 berger mine kicks about like my 6.5 with 140s. Well hope this helps. :cool:

I appreciate everyones input of the topic. Very helpful. There is so many ways you can go with a rifle it is unreal. I will probably keep doing some research and see whats all out there. Thanks guys!

The Sendero in 300 RUM is as close to a custom out of the box you can get. All it needs is great glass, solid mounts, Skim bed the action, get a Jewel trigger and a decent muzzle brake. Then load it up with 200 grain Accubonds or 210 Bergers and you are sledding with the big dogs.

I won't offer much on caliber but I firmly support the advice of the Sendero no matter the caliber you select. I put a jewell trigger in mine and it was instantly a half moa gun. I am gonna do a little bedding and fine tuning, but just a good quality rifle for the price.

I have 2 semi customs that started life as Sendero's, one in 300WinMag and the other is in 264WinMag, neither are braked and both weigh almost 12.5 lbs. The HS Precision stocks are a good platform and a skim bed really makes them shine.
I liked the Sendero so much that I also got a VSSFII in 22-250 which I made into a semi custom by having it turned into a switch barrel, I have 22-250AI and 260Rem barrels so far and it is a tack driver with all 3 barrels, including the original factory barrel.
These rifles are well worth the money as a good platform for your long range aspirations, the best thing you can do is swap out the factory trigger for a Jewel and never look back.

Good luck with your choice.

Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.