300 RUM question

rdeh

I have a new 300 RUM in a Winchester mdl 70 stainless that I can't get to shoot better than 2". With the COL at 3.600 to still fit into the magazine I still have .130 of free bore. I have tried 165 gr interbonds, 180gr interbonds, and 180gr accubonds. Is it time for the custom shop or do I dump the gun. I was setting up this gun for a deer and elk gun. Maybe a new gun in 300wsm?

...wouldn't further commit to this rifle... better off with a Remington (can upgrade it to the performance level your wallet allows) or might shoot with only minor tweaking... also could try a sako 75 as they're supposedly good right out of the box... I also like some things about the Cooper but they are single shot only in the centerfires... but the best thing "any excuse to buy a new rifle"... almost talked myself into one!!! good shooting, Larry

I started out with a Win 70 in 300 RUM, wouldnt group great so I traded it for a Savage and it only liked the light bullets, 150gr scirroco would group 3/4"

Dad had a 300 RUM in a rem and it would shot 180 scirroco into 1/2 hole, for the better feel of the gun I would tell you to get a remington. Sako's are great and the bolts feel like they are sliding back and forth on glass. Good thing about a sako is if you treat it good it will hold its resale value

IF you wanna stick with the mod 70 try some lighter bullets, I think they place less strain on the barrel and these skinny pipes like them a little more.

good luck
steve

I like the idea of a new rifle and if I do go with a new rifle I am looking hard at the 300wsm in a Remington XCR. The only problem is I don't know if I want to give up the advantages of 200 to 300fps that the 300 RUM has over the 300wsm when it comes to the longer range elk hunting.

The wsm seems to be a pretty hot number, excpecially with the 180gr accubond. I am still a rum fan, and that sucker delivers some serious power down range.

Either way you will be getting a hell of a gun, but the RUM is the clear winner as far as power goes

good luck
steve

nehunter,
Whaever you do, if you're planning on playing at long range the accuracy and power of the 300 RUM is awesome.
I just love mine with 200gr. Accubond at 3240 f/s; it's got some authority without breaking my shoulder blade since mine has no muzzle break. At 1200 yards it still have 1400+ ft-lbs of energy; I'd say about 480 ft-lb more than the 300 WSM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Get a local 'smith to check it out, may be something simple you are over looking.no pun intended...Have you tried 200 accubond with A8700 powder?

nehunter,
I agree with the comments made about "any excuse to buy a new gun"! That may be what you need to do......

However, from your post I would say you have far from exhausted your bullet / powder options. If you like the rifle (other than it not shooting well), you might try several more bullet and powder combinations before you declare it DOA. It looks like you have only tried ballistic tip type bullets. Try some SMKs, maybe some barnes TSX in the heavier weights. Also take a hard look at your scope base, rings and maybe the scope itself. Maybe your barrel would bennefit from being floated, stock bedded?? How quickly are you shooting your groups? Those light factory barrels can heat up and move on you.........

Yes, you may need to ditch this rifle, but just from your initial post, I am not sure you have gone through all the steps to declare this one a dud yet.

I would go over it like RDM416 said also if you have a third screw in the action (middle thin screw between the two front and rear main action screws) Make sure it isn't cranked down tight it can cause all kinds of grief.

SOunds like a horrible barrel by Winchester. I have actually had very good luck with Winchesters factorys shooting good. I haven't had 1 that would not shoot at least 3/4" with a good trigger and a good load. Some people on here swear by Savages, well I swore at mine. Its all a hit or miss with factory rifles. You can either keep trying to find a load that groups 1", or you can sell the gun. I spent almost 200 bux trying to get my 270 WSM in a savage to shoot, best groups I got were 1 1/4" with 150's. The 150g was the last grain a bullet I wanted to shoot in the .270wsm, and plus, it wasn't real consistent. I ended up selling the rifle. Glad I did. Will not buy another Savage.

RDM416, The reason I chose the bullets I did was to get a good hunting bullet for deer & elk that would hold together at the 300 RUM velocity, but you are correct that it may like one of the other bullet weights or brand. I had the trigger set at just under 3lbs. The rings and base are Leupold and the scope is a Leupold VXlll 4.5x14 with the Boone and Crocket. I will check the middle screw to make sure it isn't too tight. That would be a simple fix. At the shooting range I do make sure that the gun is cool before the next shot is taken. Maybe I'm just talking myself into a new Remington.

nehunter,

It sounds like you are doing everything right. I'm not crazy about leupold rings and bases, but unless they are loose or stressed I am sure that is not your problem, just a personal preference.

I have a 300RUM sendero that shoots 168grn barnes TSXs very well, but shoots patterns instead of groups with 165grn sciroccos. That experience is why I suggested a different type of bullet. The TSX may not have the highest BC but it certainly will hold together at 300RUM velocities.

But on the other hand, throwing in the towel and going for the new gun is always more fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.