300 RUM question

OneShot0351

iv read the 7rm or 30-06 Long action will work for 300 RUM chambered barrel, but will the bolt face for these two calibers work? i have read that 300wm and short mag caliber actions and bolt faces will.

Last edited:
a 7mm mag bolt face is the same as a 300wm the issue you will have is the oal of a 300 rum the cartridges most likely will not fit in the magizine, most have room out to 3.475" oal in the mag but a 300 rum is gonna be 3.550" or longer, longer especially if you plan to hand load as getting closer to the lands saves a little throat life on a cartridge of that size.

Thanks, academy sells rem 700 adl's @ $350 , I saw the 7mm online but not 300wm, if I cannot get one cheaper used at a pawn shop or gun shop, that's the action im gonna go with and use as a single shot until I purchase a wyatt DBM and have some smith work done on the action. Maybe remington will pick up to target / long range shooter percentile and offer action or barreled actions only one day.

i have about all different brands of guns and try not to be bias toward any type but i will say that if you find a savage 110,111,114, or 116 in 300 wm that they use a slightly larger magizine for the 300wm verses the mag they use for 7mm rem or 338wm because the 300wm is slightly longer, and they have factory chambered 7mm 300 and 338 RUM a couple times if your lucky you could find one of those, they also have the larger 1.120" threaded receiver, as compared to standard remington or savage 1.055 or 1.060" threaded small receivers.

Local gun shop has a used 300wm savage 110 for 269 w/ a cheap scope, but I got a deal on a as fluted barrel 300rum chamber, threaded for a 700. Can build the 700 for aboutvthe same price as I could the savage with a basic barrel much less as and fluted with the barrel deal I got. But thanks for the replys. Did not know that about the savage mags, pretty sure ill have plenty more questions begot this build is complete. 300rum and budget don't belong in the same sentence but every dollar saved counts. If 400 more ft/lb @ 1000 yds than a 44mag @the muzzle dontt tickle your fancy I don't know what will. 210gr-300rum 240gr-44mag

one shot- i have a couple heavy rem 700s that are single shot with a davidson ramp. for long range i think a repeater is unnecessary. i believe it is very expensive to add the magazine ect. too

I have the sps tactical in .308 w/ hinged floor plate, never had much use for it even when hunting with it the bolt would only pick up a round half the time. The magazinene will def come way later on the build if at all. , even as a hunting application for whitetail don't think a follow up shot would be necessary. Anyways bc I don't expect em to wiggle with the rum. Saves money when hunting too not throwing that extra round or three down range just bc u know its there when the critter is hit but still in sight... *thanks Long-trac*<---meat tenderizer.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.