300 RUM Load development*group pics added*

Mike +1 for Magnum, quickly becoming one of my favorite powders, REALLY good stuff. As for temp stability, I would also have to agree, no problems what so ever, my dope (only tested to 725) work at 50 degrees or, like 2 weekends ago, 90 degrees.

Venom, i'm suprised about the difficulty with electronic tricklers, i've run a good bit of Magnum through a RCBS Chargemaster and my new Hornady Lock'n'Load... if anything I thought is trickled better as it would bunch up at the end of the tube a dump WAY more in the pan than it was supposed to...

Venom, i'm suprised about the difficulty with electronic tricklers, i've run a good bit of Magnum through a RCBS Chargemaster and my new Hornady Lock'n'Load... if anything I thought is trickled better as it would bunch up at the end of the tube a dump WAY more in the pan than it was supposed to...
It trickles really well, that's not the problem. I just find that those really small ball powders get powder everywhere. I've only used the Magnum in a Lyman 1200 DPS3 and in manual measures/tricklers.

Definitely a *minor* annoyance, though. Takes an extra couple of minutes to clean up the Lyman, but not a huge deal.

--Ben

I shot this 5 round group for my new 300RUM, today. The load I'm using is 180gn Barnes TTSX with 87.2gn H4831sc. Remington cases with a COAL of 3.70. I am also using Fed 215M primers. The top bullet hole was a burn bullet immediately after cleaning.
The A.V. is 3240fps with a S.D. of 7.8
The gun has a 28" Lilja SS barrel with a blueprinted and trued Rem 700 action free floated and bedded in a custom made stock.
Due to the close proximity of hunting season, this will be "the" load until later in the year when I can make further adjustments to OAL, neck tension, and charge.
So far that charge seemed to be the best as the loads above and below (+/- 0.2gn), my gun didn't like as well as they shot 1.5 and 2 inch groups.

Attachments

• 300 rum.jpg
    300 rum.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 70
Try using an infrared thermometer for you barrel temps at the range. Very accurate and easy to use.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts