300 RUM Load development*group pics added*

Mike you just have to know where that first cold barrel shot is going to hit and that 500yd shoulder shot is possible. My 338 also needs to cool off between shots to get reasonable groups. First two close then the third further out.

it makes sence. which is why I LOVE my big fat Krieger ..it doesnt care how warm or cold it is it shoots straight at all times! maybe ill get this 3oo ultra barrel shot out and i can get a new barrel haha. im sure im up to the challenge.

mike,
i wish i would have added this earlier, but the groups you showed didnt trigger this thought. anyway, i mentioned that this lss was the more difficult one to get dialed in with. the barrel was floated and there was no contact (again, not bedded). when i would should for 3 shot groups, two would almost always be touching and the one would always be out of the group. for me it wasnt always one and two in, and the third one out, but most of the time that was the case. i would head out with 12-15 rounds loaded up in 1/2 grain increments and towards the end with slight oal changes.

anyway, i finally settled in on 90 grains and I think 3.640 oal. this combination still did this, but way less than the others, and i shot several 3 shot groups with this where two would be touching and one would be out, to make the overall group approx somewhere just over .7 ish.

finally i decided that this is what we had to work with and i zeroed the gun and was going to shoot one more 3 shot group. this time i shot one, had to gather some eggs etc, came back 15 minutes later, shot number two and it was in the same hole. so i waited another 15 minutes and shot number 3. it was touching the first two rounds. i duplicated this 2 more times with similar results. I called up the rifle owner and explained to him that if he shot very very slow, his rifle was very capable of 1/2 moa. if he shot normal slow, it was capable of approx 3/4 moa.

this is when i adjusted the torque from the 60 that it was (I know that this is probably to much, but this is what it was set at when i received it) to 40 in/lb.

i wanted to see if it made a difference so i shot 3 fairly quick (45 seconds between shots) and it shot somewhere around .4. I did this one more time and put the gun away. the next day, i duplicated this again. anyway, for this gun, that made a world of difference.

also, we have found that this gun needs to be cleaned every 40 rounds or so to maintain its accuracy.

I'm not sure if this is in any way helpful to you but I also just recently got a sendero sf2 and wanted a 200gr hammer load. I settled on 200gr accubonds at 3168 (SD 3fps) from 95gr of retumbo with 215M primers. Working on a 208 amax load now and I'm thinking 93.5gr retumbo is the ticket. Just have to load some more to verify. Only getting 3066fps with that though.

my lighter weight rum shoots well sub moa with a great es using retumbo and 200 accubonds. but i am shooting 93.5 grains which was not a hot load in this gun as i took it to 97 where i started seeing presure in cooler weather. when hot i built it up again and got presure at 95 but the accuracy node was 93-94 and i split the dif to give me the most leeway for temp and maintained velocity. i am getting 3230 on an oehler and am very happy with the load. i would definately build up to this load as the one thing i have seen in doing rather extensive RUM research is there seems to bi a big range of what each gun can handle without showing pressure. mine seems to be in the upper quadrant of what it will handle so again build with caution
d

I recently got a 300 RUM and have started load development on it. I am using 200 Barnes LRX and Retumbo with Federal 215's I first planned on starting around 90 Gr. but after consulting my Barnes manual they had a much lower starting charge... in the 70's which I found to be ridiculous.. even their max charge seemed low but reluctantly I started within their parameters and have now worked from 87 grains up to 92. I wasnt seeing much velocity increase till I got to about 89 grains, before that it was stuck at about 2950ish. and grouping seemed sub par. at 90.5 I started hitting the low 3100's and it has kind of plateaued but my groups are shrinking dramatically. I am monitoring pressure signs, the bolt lift is getting slightly stiffer but not bad I expect to find max pressure within a grain or so Then I will try it out for a while reloading the same few pieces of brass over and over to see what kind of life I can expect out of my brass. I may have to adjust it if it wears brass out too fast. I have a new box of Nosler brass sitting here and I hear its softer than other brass so I want to be sure I dont wear it out right away. I will keep you guys posted and maybe be able to come up with some useful load data for someone wanting to use 200 LRX with retumbo.
your rifle should handle 95.5 grs. of Retumbo federal magnum primmer 3100 fps if you want a little more speed moly coat your bullets in your tumbler for 3250 fps

your rifle should handle 95.5 grs. of Retumbo federal magnum primmer 3100 fps if you want a little more speed moly coat your bullets in your tumbler for 3250 fps

No way will my rifle handle 95.5 grains of retumbo with 215's I'm at 91gr. And getting 3120 fps now. I still may be a little hot. I'm in the process of firing the same 5 pieces of brass over and over to see how long my primer pockets last. Not all rifles are the same

I see a guy (venom600) says his rifle seems to dislike Retumbo but likes ramshot magnum. Has anyone tried it?
Yep. I've tried RL25, Retumbo, and Magnum in my 300RUM. The Magnum is more accurate (by a pretty notable amount) than either of the other two. It's spherical, so it measures super accurately.....but it'll make a mess if you're using an automatic powder trickler.

With Magnum, I'm safely (and accurately) pushing the 200g LRX at 3207 FPS (average).

I've also read that Magnum is every bit as temperature stable as Retumbo.

Your mileage may vary, but based on the extensive load testing I've done in my RUM, I'd say it's definitely worth your while to test with.

--Ben

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts