300 RUM for long range rifle.

I think JE Custom nailed it. Get rid of that stock. I have a Rem 700 chambered for the 300 RUM. With the original stock I would group anywhere from .75 to 2.5" MOA. POI would also change for no reason. Got rid of the Tupper stock and bought a Boyd's laminate. I pillar and glassed bedded the stock., Since then the POI is very stable and the rifle shoots .5 to .75 all day. By the way mine loves the 180--200 gr Nosler Accubond with Retumbo.

Thanks for the info, I was wondering if there were other bullets in that weight category that perform well, other than Berger. That's also good because in my testing working up several powders, Retumbo performed better than all of them in that rifle.

I think JE Custom nailed it. Get rid of that stock. I have a Rem 700 chambered for the 300 RUM. With the original stock I would group anywhere from .75 to 2.5" MOA. POI would also change for no reason. Got rid of the Tupper stock and bought a Boyd's laminate. I pillar and glassed bedded the stock., Since then the POI is very stable and the rifle shoots .5 to .75 all day. By the way mine loves the 180--200 gr Nosler Accubond with Retumbo.

ok I looked at HS precision, and Bell and Carlson stocks and I am just about talked into trying something, I'll check out boyd's laminate next. these ideas may cost me but thanks you guys I appreciate your suggestions.

you guys have me convinced to try the heavier bullets been looking at some Berger 200-210 I am going to get some and load them up

I'd try the 215 hybrids from berger. I just started messing with them in my ruger m77 300 win mag and they are showing great promise. I seem to have found a load that is hovering just a bit over .5 MOA AND that's out of a factory rifle.

215 or even the 230 Hybrids and don't look back if it is a true LR (800-1200+) rifle. I have a great load for both, but the 230s flat rock.
I use H1000 under the 215s @ 3100 even, Retumbo under the 230s @ 3068.

Both will kill the heck out of an elk.

I agree with all the advise that has been given. Look at https://www.stockysstocks.com/

They have some composite stocks that won't break the bank that have worked very well for us. Along with most everything else out there.

As a mono metal pure copper bullet maker I will throw in my .02 on bullets. We have done lots of work with the 300rum. With your factory rifle you have a 10" twist. This will mean that you won't be able to run as heavy with copper bullets as you can with lead core bullets due to the density of lead being higher than copper. At least in a high bc vld style bullet for long range hunting. Our 181g Hammer Hunter will run at mid 3450fps, give or take, in the rum and maintain good terminal performance past 1000y. 1800fps to 1100y at 3000' elev. This kind of vel will give you a max point blank range of 433y with a 370y zero. I personally zero at 300y, because my brain wraps around it better, and can then hold on the animal out to about 450y with out any heavy calculations.

With our bullets there is never any sorting, meplat uniforming, hollow point checking, or wondering if they will work at high or low vel. They are easier to load develop than any other bullet on the market and will be highly accurate. Less meat damage with very good terminal performance. We have 2 overriding principles that we will not compromise. Our bullets have to be accurate and do what they are supposed to do when they get there. We will not change production process or material that will sacrifice these ever.

Steve

I have a Bell and Carlson sitting around not doing anything from my Remington 300RUM, M40 design if you want to try something before you buy. If you want drop me a note.

That would be a great idea, be glad to pay shipping and what ever is needed. At the present I am in phoenix for the winter, Glen Burton. so my address is (at the present) 30175 w Mulberry Dr. Buckeye, Az 85396. let me know. 801-390-6379

I agree with all the advise that has been given. Look at https://www.stockysstocks.com/

They have some composite stocks that won't break the bank that have worked very well for us. Along with most everything else out there.

As a mono metal pure copper bullet maker I will throw in my .02 on bullets. We have done lots of work with the 300rum. With your factory rifle you have a 10" twist. This will mean that you won't be able to run as heavy with copper bullets as you can with lead core bullets due to the density of lead being higher than copper. At least in a high bc vld style bullet for long range hunting. Our 181g Hammer Hunter will run at mid 3450fps, give or take, in the rum and maintain good terminal performance past 1000y. 1800fps to 1100y at 3000' elev. This kind of vel will give you a max point blank range of 433y with a 370y zero. I personally zero at 300y, because my brain wraps around it better, and can then hold on the animal out to about 450y with out any heavy calculations.

With our bullets there is never any sorting, meplat uniforming, hollow point checking, or wondering if they will work at high or low vel. They are easier to load develop than any other bullet on the market and will be highly accurate. Less meat damage with very good terminal performance. We have 2 overriding principles that we will not compromise. Our bullets have to be accurate and do what they are supposed to do when they get there. We will not change production process or material that will sacrifice these ever.

Steve

I'll take a look at them thanks

I will get it packaged up over the weekend and get it sent out to you.

That would be a great idea, be glad to pay shipping and what ever is needed. At the present I am in phoenix for the winter, Glen Burton. so my address is (at the present) 30175 w Mulberry Dr. Buckeye, Az 85396. let me know. 801-390-6379

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.