300 RUM 245 Grain Berger H1000 Load Data

mackgee

Does anyone have any load recipes that have been working well in the combination of powder and bullet that I have listed in the title? I'm about to start working with a new custom I just got and wanted to see if anyone else has been having any success with the H1000. That is all I could get my hands on, so I'm stuck for what powder I'm using. Thanks In advance!

Mac

Older thread I just saw I am shooting 245s in my RUM it's a lighter load of 85.5gr of H1000 only running at 2835 fps but shoots great. .250 MOA out to 1000yds and the high bc really takes over the lighter faster bullets at longer range. Hope this helps

When comparing different cartridges/bullets, especially when using different guns, you need to be sure your comparing apples with apples from the gun standpoint.
Things like scope height for example can make a difference.
Best to do all the bullet comparing by using the same gun.
Which is what i did when doing a bullet comparison test years ago with my 36" barreled 30x378.
Back in the late 60s a few people were necking down the 378 Wetherby case to 30 caliber.
One PA. gunsmith even created a custom 3 lug action for that cartridge.
It was found that long barrels with slower powder produced the best results.
H570 which was a WW2 surplus powder was found to be the best for use with that cartridge.
With that powder and barrel length, velocities of up to 3500 fps could be safely obtained using a 200 gr bullet.
But only while using guns with actions built to take those type pressures.
My load for my gun was 113 gr H570 using the 200 gr SMK.
About 25 years ago i also loaded some 220 gr SMKs and some 240 gr SMKs.
What i found was that at 1500 yards the 200 gr was still the flattest shooting requiring less added elevation to the scope.
The 220 was next followed by the 240.
And the difference was considerable with the 240 at 1500 yards.
But at 1 mile that changed, and the 240 was best, followed by the 220.
But the 200 was not a big loser at that distance either.
If like me your strictly a long range hunter, how far will you be shooting?

I wanted to be good at 1000 if needed to shoot that far and this will have enough speed and energy
Well for sure the heavier bullets will make it that far. lol
Back in 1986 a man by name of Earl Chronister set a new heavy gun 1000 yd world record group at Williamsport.
When Sierra first introduced their heavier 30 caliber SMK, it was a 250 gr, not a 240 as it is today.
And thats what Earl used to set that new record with a 30x378.
As i recall it was just a bit under 4" for the 10 shot group.
The current record is roughly 1" smaller, and was shot with a 300 WSM.
It is also now more than a decade since that (new) record was set.

I'm at 2845 FPS with N570. Was able to get up to 2930, but was fearful of case life and component shortfalls these days....and why...

1-8 Here. I am going to try the 213gr Hammers and see how it does. The 215 Berger does a little better so figured I would give them a try.

These are both full custom mine is an MOA extreme action his a Kelblys Atlas Tactical, Benchmark carbon fiber barrels with Miller brakes, McMillan game Hunter stocks, Trigger tech Diamond triggers. Barrels are 26". Mine weighs 9.5 lb with a 5x25 ATACR. Mild recoil with these brakes

My RUM is a 1:9 twist and I think you can find some 245s if not 230 OTMs are a good alternative. Just finished load development for friends RUM with 230s shooting great 88gr H1000 2950fps
Yes my Rum has a 8twt and my 30-378
should be finished this week, having a 9twt Bartlein put on. Thanks