245 Berger in 300 RUM

from the research I've done should be able to run these 245's up to about 3000fps (or maybe more) using N570. with a 30" tube.
My RUM is actually currently getting fitted with a 32" barrel so I will find out for sure soon. I had planned to start at 90 grains and work up from there but after reading this I think I'm gonna back it down to 83 gr and work up just for safety. I will try and report back with what I find.
Good call!

If using ADG cases, I would definitely not start at 90 gr.

Interested in your results...everyone else's also.

Good call!

If using ADG cases, I would definitely not start at 90 gr.

Interested in your results...everyone else's also.
I will keep you posted. you think pressure with ADG is due to thick necks? I have a bunch of RP brass with a few firings on it also. I bought the ADG because I thought it would take more pressure, I'll measure neck thickness this evening.

I will keep you posted. you think pressure with ADG is due to thick necks? I have a bunch of RP brass with a few firings on it also. I bought the ADG because I thought it would take more pressure, I'll measure neck thickness this evening.
heavier brass thicker everywhere less capacity .. i have mixed emotions about ADG brass...

what i cant figure is .. the old REM brass was great and took a beating had great capacity and these are supposedly the same guys who designed that brass .. why ruin a good thing!

I haven't measured necks. I do get a little more out of RP cases though. All with N570. I can't load long enough without single feeding because I am an idiot and bought/milled the receiver for the 3.85 Wyatt's box instead of 4".

ADG 83.5gr, COAL 3.840" =2785 FPS

86.6gr, COAL 3.885" (.015" off lands and single feed) = 2843 FPS

RP 85gr, COAL 3.743" (Accurate Mag) = 2832 FPS with an ES of 11. Haven't run these long in the RP case to see how high I can get.

Changed direction and dropped it in a chassis. May go back to the EH2 if I decide to single feed if the RP case will get me there.

I have had the same with ADG in 6.5 SAUM, 300 WM, and two separate 300 RUMs. Velocities get up there quick, but so does pressure.

The RUM shoots the 215s with them, but really slow, covers a dime though.

Last edited:
Brand new Barrel. I ran the 245's up to 2955 fps with 89gr of N570 in ADG brass. The primer was just starting to show a bit of a ripple and no ejector marks, no doubt it would easily take more but don't want to push the new barrel to hard just yet. I only ran a couple charges of N570 in RP brass and the velocities averaged about 25 fps higher.

I usually find my barrels speed up about 150 fps and I seem to have a node at 2825 fps with N570 so I am gonna play in there for now and see what happens.

I'm running 245s out of a 30" C6 300 Rum with 92.5gr N570 using ADG brass with a long throat COAL is 3.955" and hit a good accuracy node at 3088 with an es of 8
after my barrel sped up. I am using 87.5gr of N570 with ADG brass, 245 Bergers to get 3015 fps with 215M primers. ES of 10.
it's a 32" barrel. There is room for it to push faster but I found a sweet node right there.

Brand new Barrel. I ran the 245's up to 2955 fps with 89gr of N570 in ADG brass. The primer was just starting to show a bit of a ripple and no ejector marks, no doubt it would easily take more but don't want to push the new barrel to hard just yet. I only ran a couple charges of N570 in RP brass and the velocities averaged about 25 fps higher.

I usually find my barrels speed up about 150 fps and I seem to have a node at 2825 fps with N570 so I am gonna play in there for now and see what happens.
I am at this same node at 2832 FPS in Rem brass and 2815 FPS in ADG. I cannot get to the higher one you guys are at. That is what I wanted, but this C6 barrel won't have it. Just a Rem action though, I get pressure signs early. Second barrel that has done this.

I am at this same node at 2832 FPS in Rem brass and 2815 FPS in ADG. I cannot get to the higher one you guys are at. That is what I wanted, but this C6 barrel won't have it. Just a Rem action though, I get pressure signs early. Second barrel that has done this.
C6 barrel?
Is that carbon six?

Is that button or cut rifled?

Yes Carbon Six. Very accurate. I think my action doesn't like to go higher. It did it with the previous barrel too. Ejector print comes early along with clickers.

It is a McGowen, I think button.

Yes Carbon Six. Very accurate. I think my action doesn't like to go higher. It did it with the previous barrel too. Ejector print comes early along with clickers.

It is a McGowen, I think button.
Mine is a 700 rem action that's been blue printed with a barrel from KS arms up here in Canada. Shoots very well.

I am still wondering about a retumbo load with these. I couldn't find any powder when I put the rifle together so I ended up using 94.6g of h50bmg. It got me to 3030 without pressure using adg brass in a 30" 1-9 twist tube. It's a surprisingly accurate load that I may stick with, but I wouldn't mind trying retumbo now that I finally have some again.