300 Norma with the 245 Berger

WeiserBucks

Looks like the 245 Berger is shipping at the end of the month. For those of you with more Norma experience than I do , is the capacity enough to take advantage of the heavier bullet?

I've shot several different bullets in the 300 Norma. I'm trying to find 245s in stock somewhere. My honest opinion is, if there is a non wildcat cartridge that is already being made that could be perfect for the 245, it would be the 300 Norma. Just my guess it that the two would seem to be made for each other.

Checking to see if anyone has loaded some 245s in the 300 Norma and what the coal was.
I have shot just a few of them. I can seat one on my dummy case tonight and give you a length. I will seat the boat tail junction just above the neck/ shoulder junction & give you a COAL.

I called Berger about 3 weeks ago and they gave me data for n570 & retumbo. I have it wrote down some where but I can't locate it right now. Max was way more generous than I would have guessed for both of those powders and I think would have been way over max in my rifle. I think I ended up charging about 82.1 gr of h1000 for around 2900 fps. My barrel seems fast for my charge weights compared to what other folks report. Recoil was more noticeable over the 230 atip or 225eld, but that's to be expected.

I just ordered my barrel from hart today, 28" 1:9 twist, in a dream world I would like to be 3000 with the 245s but plan on running the Berger 245, 230, 215s and I want to shoot the 245s but if my tube likes one more then the others then I may just run that

Mine is a 28" 9 twist, 230s at 3000 are the sweet spot. Anything higher shows pressure, if I try the 245s I'd expect them to be 2930 or so without pushing it which would be a pretty potent combination .Before the good brass hit the market plenty of guys were happy with 2950 with 215s.

I just ordered my barrel from hart today, 28" 1:9 twist, in a dream world I would like to be 3000 with the 245s but plan on running the Berger 245, 230, 215s and I want to shoot the 245s but if my tube likes one more then the others then I may just run that
I think you made a great choice in the barrel length & twist that you chose. I have a 26" 9.5 twist. In hind sight, I would have chosen what you did. I firmly believe that the 300 Norma is most ideal in a 28" or longer barrel. I worked up a modest load for 230 atips with 84.3gr retumbo @ 2930. I can go faster but muzzle blast becomes unpleasant when I get around 3000fps or more. I think your 28" will get you a little farther away from the muzzle & releave you from the blast much better. I'm fairly happy with my load, but I will go 28" if I rebarrel.

Last edited:
Ppl may laugh at this very scientific reasoning I had... I wanted the have the longest barrel I could without hindering me for hunting, this rifle is a hunting rig first and foremost, that I also want to at times be a target rifle. My father has a win m70 Classic with a boss in a 7mm RM. barrel is 26" + the boss which is about 4", so that just at 30" total, so in my small mind I felt a 28" barrel with a 2.5" boss will put me just over 30" and I have never had issues with my dads rifle....it was mine before I got a different rifle and my dad said he wanted to hunt with it lol, that been 18 years ago and he still loves that rifle!! When I called Hart I spoke to them about the twist and told them what I was looking at to shoot and they said the 9 is what I would want! I have dealt with them a couple times and always so helpful and happy to help!