300 RUM & 230gr Berger Hybrids

OK...so Bergers are supposed to shoot best when seated close to or touching the lands. But that'a not working in my rifle. My 230s shoot best (half moa) out of my 300 RUM with a jump of .035"....anyone else having a similar experience?

The close to lands or jammed seating has kinda come to pass. The new Bergers of today with the Hybrid Ogive are much less sensitive to seating depth. I have rifles running them out to .180" off the lands and still hold 1/2 moa well past 1000 yards.

Jeff

Hello,

I recently received some of the 338 Edge brass from Shawn and could not resist necking a few down to see what they would run in a 300 RUM.

I run 92 gr H1000 w/ Federal 215 primers with the Berger 230gr Hybrid (new run) out of my Broughton 30" barrel with the above-mentioned brass and I get a solid 3130 fps with single digit velocity spreads.

As with any load information, brass, powder, barrels, primers and bullets can and do vary from lot to lot. However these bullets seem very consistent.

This loading appears on paper to have some serious lethal potential.... Hopefully we will find out this fall.

NOTE: I never tried these bullets out of any other brass so I have no other data.

James

I was shooting 93 grains of H1000 in Remington brass under 230 grain Berger hybrids with excellent accuracy. But I started having problems with extraction after the second loading, even though the cases were trimmed to uniform length. I surmised that after a couple firings at that pressure level, the brass was becoming work hardened and not retracting from the chamber walls. I slowly backed down to 89.5 grains, which is where the extraction problems subsided. I'm getting 3030 fps out of a 28" Bartlein with that load, and have been hitting consistently at slightly over 1400 yards, which is the limit of my rangefinder. I do miss the 3170 that I was getting from the 93 grain load, but 3030 isn't bad either, and I don't miss the extraction problems one bit.

I'm loading the 230 OTM Hybrid's over 92.0 gr Retumbo and CCI 250's at 2918fps at 3.877" OAL with no pressure out of a 26" barrel. This combo is shooting 1/2 moa groups for me at 200yds, hoping to take out to distance soon. Good Luck.

Doug

OK...so Bergers are supposed to shoot best when seated close to or touching the lands. But that'a not working in my rifle. My 230s shoot best (half moa) out of my 300 RUM with a jump of .035"....anyone else having a similar experience?

I am at .090" off with 180gr Bergers out of my 7wsm, but the SMKs still perform better.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.