300 RUM & 230gr Berger Hybrids

BCMAG2

I'm loading 93 grains of H1000 under a 230 gr Berger in my 300 RUM. Rem brass, CCI 250 mag primer. Elevation is 2230. Getting 3080 fps through a 28" Bartlein. No signs of excess pressure after 30 rounds, but I haven't found the accuracy sweet spot yet.

I'm interested to hear what other guys are seeing for velocity from their 300 RUMs with the 230 Bergers, and when signs of pressure started to appear?

From everything I've read on this combination Your the winner at over 3000fps.
At my 1350 elavation & I pulled the trigger with 93grs of H1000 behind the 230hybrids this would probably be my last post!!!
I'm at max with 92gr of H1000 & 208 Amax.

My load in a Rem 700 factory rifle is 90Gr Retumbo 230Gr Berger Hybrid Target lit with a Fed 215 primer. 2911 pfs with no pressure signs. Accuracy is good at this load. If I increase the charge the accuracy decreases.

For grins I rechambered a 24" 300 win mag rem takeoff I had sitting around to 300 RUM. 100 gr of RL-33 yielded 2975 fps with 230 gr berger hybrid from that short barrel!

Why are you guys mentioning your elevations? Can't imagine how that could affect load workups. Now downrange trajectories I'd understand. Please explain.

I have not experimented at different elevations yet, as all our mountain roads are currently snowed in, but I've been told that pressure increases along with elevation. So a load that presents no pressure problems at 2,000 feet may be very different when fired at 5,000 feet. I'm anxious to test that for myself at different elevations after melt off.

Been an avid rifle nut and ballistics information reader, have loaded for over 30 yrs never heard that elevation affects pressure.

I would love know where you found that information. Was it published?

Ross

My rifle builder told me that several times, and others who shoot ultra mags in my county have told me of their own experiences shooting at our range, having no problems with pressure, and then driving up 4,000 feet in elevation and getting a stuck bolt with the same loads. I have also read many threads on this website where shooters draw distinctions between pressure signs at differing elevations. It seems that elevation is widely believed to impact pressure. Can't wait to test it out for myself when weather permits.

Interesting concept but shared word of mouth. Anyone chronograph the problem rifle at both elevations?

I have a 300 RUM loaded it close to max with 90 gr of RL-25 and 200 gr accubonds at 3000 ft and have used it several times at 8000-10,000 ft on elk with no issues what so ever.

Any other LRH posters? I would love to hear more on this subject.

You might want to research it through SAAMI. If they don't show anything regarding pressure changes and elevation, I'd question the validity of such a statement...

Just asked Bryan Litz. Quote:

" Ross,

To my knowledge, altitude doesn't affect internal ballistics/loads.

Take care,

-Bryan"

Thank you Bryan

I use 91g of retumbo at 5300ft or 10000ft with no difference in pressure at all. It is also very accurate.

OK...so Bergers are supposed to shoot best when seated close to or touching the lands. But that'a not working in my rifle. My 230s shoot best (half moa) out of my 300 RUM with a jump of .035"....anyone else having a similar experience?

Mine is very similar. 300 RUM Sendero 26" barrel. 91 gr H1000. I am shooting the 215's though. Shoots real good at 30 thou off. Different bullet but hope it helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.