300 Rum 215 Berger Hybrids Speed/Accuracy

mhamlin

Speed vs Accuracy?

Factory Rem 700 Long-Range Bolt-Action, chambered in 300RUM, muzzle-brake, Vortex Viper HS 6x24x50.

Tried the following powders, with the Berger 215's, Rem brass and CCI 250 primers:

IMR 7828
AA Magpro
H1000
Retumbo
US 869

Did seating depth tests, max pressure testing, and ladder tests.

The most consistent load I have found is 88grains of H1000 and it works well at mag length and at .025 off the lands, but I am only at 2913 avg. speed. I can get 3000 fps with 89.5 H1000 at .025 off lands with good consistency, but it makes the gun a single shot. I was able to get much faster loads from the other powders, but the accuracy wasn't close to the H1000.

At 1000 yards, will 87 fps make enough difference (energy) on an Elk, to warrant carrying a single shot vs. a repeater?

Thanks, Mike

Nothing wrong with wanting speed. But more speed doesn't always mean more accuracy. I personally shoot for accuracy first and let the velocity be what it is.

Just finished working up a 300 RUM 26" barrel with 215s last week
92gr h1000
215 Berger
Seated -.010 off lands
CCI 250 primers
3068fps on magneto speed
3 shot group .226

Attachments

• 20150608_184146.jpg
    20150608_184146.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 173
I don't know if I can get to .10 off and still have enough bullet in the neck (long factory throat). 92 grains gave me similar velocities and similar accuracy for 2 shots then I'd get an 1-1/2" flier, or two. ???

So just remember you are shooting an animal that is flesh and bones. Not made of steal. I know there a lot of times a badly placed shot can cause an animal to run for a mile or so. But good shots even with much smaller calibers will put them down. Several good you tube videos showing various calibers killing elk. Even down to a 243 at 200yards. Living in Utah I have ran into a lady hunter that used a 243 ack version and barnes bullets. She does neck shots to about 400yard is what she told me and has not had a issues. Basically breaking the spine. Now with all this said I'm like you chasing the speed demon. That's why we bought 300RUMs not to mention it will slang a large 30 cal bullet along ways. Myself went to the 230's running single shot. I just tried them mag length and they showed some promise but was slow like 2780fps. Now this was a mild charge so there is room for improvement but I am currently considering going back and revisiting the 210's. May also try some 208 amax.

So I have a question to all that has used it. How does IMR 7828 work in the 300 RUM?

That's what I was thinking...but the speed chaser in me keeps banging my head against the wall trying to go faster.
mhamlin,
Since you have a Remington 700. Contact WYATT OUTDOOR CUSTOM RIFLES and talk to them about having a longer magazine box fitted into your stock. These give you another .110 on length to play with over a standard long action stock.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I was out of town for a few days and couldn't get logged on with my phone. I did find a range at the coast that has steel out to 700 yards and paper to 300. heading back there with my gun next week for some validation. 60-70 degrees beats the 100 degree weather here any day...downside is that its 2 hours away.

Thanks again!
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.