300 PRC or?

Rockin90

I have decided to get a 30 mag of some kind. I already have a 300 wsm and want something with a little more speed to it. I reload so ammo won't be a problem.

I have been looking and reading everything I can find and the 300 PRC seems to fit the bill of what I want. I do keep wondering if I shouldn't just go with the 300 win mag though. I think the PRC will handle the heavier bullets better. Please correct me if I am wrong.

This will be used for hunting and I am looking at the Havak PH for the rifle.

your WSM will do just about the same as a win mag. you will need to make a bigger jump than that to gain any real speed with the same size bullets. 30 nosler, 300rum, 30-378, 7.82 Patriot, 300 normamag, 300Wby, not sure if you can get 300 blazer here or not but that would be faster... If you wanna run with Hornady then the PRC will do a little better than the winny.

Suppose it would matter if you were hand loading or buying factory........

I have built two 300 PRCs, great cartridge for sure, nothing wrong with the 300 WSM either, I can't think of a real good reason to switch from the WSM to PRC other than you don't have one and I'm thinking that's a good enough excuse for a new rifle :D

:D:DThe 300wsm is a Browning Abolt ll and I would like to shoot the 210-230 bullets. I figured I could continue on with the 180 class bullets in the wsm and buy a different rifle for the heavier bullets.

I ruled out the 300 RUM and the Norma because from what I could tell they are nearly identical for speed on the heavier bullets. The nosler definitely is faster but for the cost of brass and availability of ammo if I did need to buy a box is why I was looking at the 300 PRC.

I am just trying to make sure I didn't overlook something.

I also am going with a Havak because I won a decent % off of their products at the last PRS match I went to.:D

Last edited:
I don't think the 300 prc offers a ton more over the 300. Wsm. That being said if you just want to try something different I don't think it's a bad option. I'm looking at putting one together. Even though I hate Hornady brass I think sooner then later other companies will pick them up and then it will be a great option

I have loaded over a 100 Hornady 300 PRC brass and no issues yet, I'm on 3rd firing on some and all good so far,
If wanting to shoot heavier bullets definitely the 300 PRC is the way to go, I'm getting 2900fps with 76.2 grs of R26 and the 230gr Hornady A-Tips out of a 26" Benchmark barrel 1-9.5 twist

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts