300 PRC barrel length

I couldn't decide what length so I just did 27.5 inch.
I do know that with a half dozen powders I can run 2920-2960fps with 225's and there more in the tank if I wanted to go there.
Hornady brass is holding up just fine so far with 4 reloads on some.

Thanks Venatic that's the stuff I have been searching for.
I can and have carried heavy 30 inch barrels hunting. Tho it's not ideal. I like the idea of not having to push it hard to get good speed so I think I will stay with 26.
I understand barrets reasons for the shorter barrel bit also realize the people using these will have to be able to move better and faster than I will.

I built mine with a Bartlein 1:8 twist, in a trued 700 action. Settled on 26". Used an old A5 stock, had the long DBM installed to run up to 3.700 c.o.a.l. and it feeds fine. Initial testing and barrel break in with 225 ELDX over 75 gr. of H1000 giving just over 1" groups @100 yds., with a velocity of 2870. About ready to start actual load development with the 225's, and a 230 Sierra. Hope that helps.

It does help. It helps confine the amount of speed per the inch that I have seen elsewhere.
Thanks for the input.

I just finished my 1-9 twist, 300PRC, Stainless, REMAGE, Straight-No Taper Contour, 11 Degree Crown, Polished, 30" Long McGowen barrel on a Remington700 stainless magnum action sitting in a Choat stock. Used at the bench, on the ground, or with-in 500 yards of the truck. It weighs about 17-18 pounds.

Just starting to break in the barrel with factory loads because brass seems to be hard to find right now. (still crossing my fingers Peterson or one of the good brass producers will start making cases for it) So my velocities for the first 20 shots are...

10 shots - 212ELD [Adverstised fps: 2860] My average fps: 2926 +66fps
05 shots - 225Match [Ad fps: 2810] My average fps: 2933 +123fps
Averaging 1moa at 100 yards and that is cleaning after every shot for the first 10 shots and then every other shot for the next 10 shots. So I'm thinking this is a ball park not "real" data yet.

Spent to much time shooting the breeze and forgot to set up the LabRadar for the first 5 shots.

Thanks
I see you have the choate stock. That is the stock I am looking at from CDI Gunworks. How do you like it?
The 9 twist is also the same as I will be getting. Thought it would work well especially with the longer barrel.
Your uses sound alot like mine how do you feel the 30 inch barrel handles
Speeds look good and I would suspect it will speed up a little after break-in.

Thanks
I see you have the choate stock. That is the stock I am looking at from CDI Gunworks. How do you like it?
The 9 twist is also the same as I will be getting. Thought it would work well especially with the longer barrel.
Your uses sound alot like mine how do you feel the 30 inch barrel handles
Speeds look good and I would suspect it will speed up a little after break-in.

The 1:9 twist rate is what I decided on after talking with the guy at McGowen that has worked there forever. Called expecting an admin person, got a shooter & machinist who was willing to talk to me for over 15 minutes. I had caliber questions and all. I really wanted to go with 7-300wm but had to throw that out due to my requirement of wanting to be able to buy ammo if I didn't have time to reload...that is what really put the 300PRC on top.

The 30 inch barrel is a little bit front heavy for me but I had them leave it full diameter all the way down to the muzzle basically. So it is 1.2 minus the thread depth in diameter all the way down. (read: heavy - but that is what I wanted) I had it threaded and put a ZROdelta gen1 .338 brake on it (found it on sale since the gen2's are out) I'm going to fill the handle of the Choate stock with lead shot to give it a little more weight in the back and then I think it will be perfect. BTW: the ZROdelta break works AWESOME!!! When I control the recoil correctly I can see the impacts even at 100 yards. At 500 yards it is super easy. (yes I was shooting steel at 500 during break-in...but it was a big steel plate)

The Choate ultimate sniper stock, I got hooked on them 8-10 years ago after reading about a guy in Europe that was winning F-class matches shooting one. I figured F-class guys are picky and you can't win shooting with substandard gear. We own 4 of them right now and two of them shoot in the .3 range. I have a bone stock Rem700 SPS Varminter in .308 that shoots .5moa all day long with Federal 168 & PPU Match line ammo. Two use blind / ADL mags as repeaters & two of them are blocked off as single shot rifles. This works with my shooting style and not having a mag on the bottom actually works much better for odd positions when needed. We do hunt with them from time to time. I love the simplicity and flexibility of the Choate. Like I already said the handle can store a little bit or be used to fill with lead shot to balance the rifle to your liking. Even the heaviest of barrels will fit in the barrel channel. The carry straps are on the sides so you don't have a scope digging or trigger guard digging in your back when slung, again very nice. The last but not least is the rail up front that allows you to quickly put a bi-pod on or take it off and use bags. I have 3 quick attach pieces for different size bi-pods. I'm also making an attachment to quick attach a bag slide. The ultimate sniper has extremely aggressive texture, but it can be sanded down or off if desired. Personally I like it as is. The handle is quite fat compared to most, great for big hands or for a grip that uses the back where the safety goes as a thumb shelf. IF you want the same features but a skinnier grip, black color, flat forend & very little texture then go with the Choate Varmint stock. They hold paint pretty good, my son painted his and you can do cool things like us a glob of JBweld to create a thumb shelf (it might be ugly but it works)

I know the stock only plays a part in accuracy but you can see even during break in the groups were good. After the first 10 shots I only cleaned ever other shot, each time you can see the holes are touching. Next time out its 5 shot groups between cleanings for the last 30 in my break in procedure.

So far for using breaks I can say with certainty that the JP Eliminator works great for reducing recoil and is the best for staying on target because of how it manages the gas. The ZROdelta brake reduces recoil even more but is just a hair less effective at staying on target but more friendly to the bench next to you. The 30 inch barrel seems to help keep it on target when I shoot square from behind it though. https://precisionrifleblog.com/ has a bunch of reading on brakes if you are so inclined, it was the basis of my decision.

That's my experience so far. Hope it helps, sorry for the novel length post.

20190805_190525.jpg 20190805_190617.jpg 20190805_191034.jpg

actually, the 300 prc brass is far better than the old 375 ruger brass.

I second that. The Hornady brass for the 300 PRC was surprisingly very consistent and held up to 6 firings so far. I didn't want to open a bunch of boxes in case I wanted to resale them and they been doing great after FL sizing, trimming after the second firing and annealed every 2 firings. I have a Christensen Mesa with a 24" barrel and its almost identical to my fierce edge 300 wsm with a 24" barrel. Both shooting 210 Berger Hunting VLD accurately and almost the identical amount of clicks up to 600 yds. I will probably sell my Christensen.... big mistake buying one. Maybe a ridgeline with a 26" barrel would make a little difference but I doubt it. If my wsm isn't enough my RUM will be. But the brass is exceptional for being Hornady!!

I do a mix of hunting and for fun target shooting with this 300 PRC, I went with a 26" 1-9.5 #4 Fluted Benchmark
I'm getting 2860fps with the Factory 225gr ELDM, adv vel 2810

Shot a 2.5" group yesterday at 820 yards with the factory 225 ELDM

Last edited:
I built a version of the prc a while back before they released it.

Im not a fan of long barrels anymore, they just seem long and clunky to me now. I went with a 25" barrel and i have the 225s going 2950-2960 with n570. They are around 2890-2900 with retumbo.

Mine probably only holds a couple grains more than a standard prc. If your only target shooting with it then 30" all the way, but i would go shorter for a hunting rifle, unless caring a 30" barrelled rifle around is cool with you

Maybe you guys in this thread can help me a little. I built a .30-375R wildcat in 2009, but never finished it. So now, I want to finish what I started. I want to rebarrel my .300 WM Ruger M77 MkII with a 26" .300 PRC barrel.

My only question is, how much performance will I be giving up if I load it to a max COAL of 3.34" ? The 212 ELD-X, or 210 ABLR is about the top weight I'll be using. More commonly, 180 and 200 just like a Win Mag.

Would I need to order a custom reamer, so it would be throated similar to a Win Mag ?

Sorry for the hi-Jack , and thank you!

You would be jumping the bullet approx .100" with a saami throat to be able to fit in the magazine. It may or may not affect accuracy and velocity would be down a little, but not much.