300 PRC barrel length

coance

I am looking at building a 300 PRC and was curious as to what length most go with. I am considering 28 or 30 inch. Not sure either would be better than the other or even if 26 inch would be a good option.
Open to suggestions or opinions.
Thanks

If it's a rifle for hunting, I would favor the 26" barrel. The .300 PRC is ballistically equivalent to the .300WM, so you should be able to extract most of the performance from it in 26".

If you had plans of using the rifle more for target shooting, then either 28" or 30" would be fine, since you aren't looking to lug it around in the timber.

Since you said, "building a .300 PRC", just curious what action you were looking to use.

Will be using a old Savage flat back that is now a 7 mag with a shot out barrel. Love my Savages.Have been talking to CDI Gunworks about a Choate stock with bottom metal and mag to fit the long round. Have been talking with bugholes about doing a 9 twist Bartlein barrel.
Have not been able to find much info out there so far hence why I asked here.
As far as use it will be some of both. At first I was thinking 30 inch but in all reality I don't think it will give me enough advantage over a 28 to make it worth while.

Last edited:
Will be using a old Savage flat back that is now a 7 mag with a shot out barrel. Love my Savages.Have been talking to CDI Gunworks about a Choate stock with bottom metal and mag to fit the long round. Have been talking with bugholes about doing a 9 twist Bartlein barrel.
Have not been able to find much info out there so far hence why I asked here.
As far as use it will be some of both. At first I was thinking 30 inch but in all reality I don't think it will give me enough advantage over a 28 to make it worth while.
Nice. The ability to easily rebarrel those Savage actions is a great benefit. It sounds like you are settling in on 28" as striking the right balance for what you want to do with the gun. That should work perfectly. Looking forward to the shooting report once it's built!

Not looking at running a suppressor at this time.
Have been looking around some today and from what I can find I think 28 will do me well. Speed should be good and it shouldnt be to long to be used in a hunt should I choose.

Last edited:
I am looking at building a 300 PRC and was curious as to what length most go with. I am considering 28 or 30 inch. Not sure either would be better than the other or even if 26 inch would be a good option.
Open to suggestions or opinions.
Thanks
You didn't specify your application which makes all the difference......humpin' it up mountains or banging steel from behind your Jeep; range; accuracy/precision; terminal performance needs, etc. Following FYI.....maybe not applicable for you.
Just starting to shoot 300PRC caliber conversion kit in a Barrett MRAD....26" fluted....Hornady 215, 225s factory at this early point. US SOCCOM and Barrett chose 300PRC 26" based on 50% probability of first round impacts on man-sized target at 2000m.....and some can use. Reviewing Barrett actual performance DOPE of the MRAD, 300PRC easily out performs 300WM; slightly trails 300NM......but, 300NM is spooky above shallow angles, as in high angle shooting, more of a barrel burner. They could have chosen any barrel length they wanted, but chose 26" as most bang for application. (DOPE with 300WM 190SMK 2925fps sonic to 1350m; 300PRC 225ELD-X to 1650m 2855fps; 300NM 215Hybrid to 1850m 3015fps...note bullet variances.)

Recent Posts