.300 Norma magnum for hunting??

Perhaps this is the .30 caliber cartridge that will gradually replace the .300 Win mag. But maybe not in our lifetime!

I think it's a better choice than the .300 RUM. (OK RUM fans, don't get upset. Jus' sayin'.)

I've been loading & shooting the 300 RUM since '99 and the 300 Tomahawk and 7.82 Warbird since '02, love the 300 RUM and prefer it over the 300 Win Mag (lifelong '06 and 300 WM hunter)

but I agree with you 100% ! the 300 Norma Mag IS absolutely the coolest 30 cal cartridge on the planet !

Around 2950 in the 28" tube. The improved version could match the rum pretty easy tho

I get close to that out of my Win Mag. 2922fps with a 27 in. with my 230 OTMs. No pressure signs. 74.5 gr. H1000 I know that seems fast but....It shoot fine.

I looked at the 300 Norma and 338 Norma extensively... I think the cartridge is a better more efficient design for both but we can debate till the end of time...

Price and availability lead me back to the 300wm. JMO

Good luck.

I know the cow elk population would prefer that the 300 norma remain a secret lol...this one was taken at 625 one and done and another suffered the same fate at 725..out of this rifle by a second shooter.

Attachments

• IMG_2629.jpg
    IMG_2629.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 153
I know the cow elk population would prefer that the 300 norma remain a secret lol...this one was taken at 625 one and done and another suffered the same fate at 725..out of this rifle by a second shooter.

Nice work!
I am picking up my early Christmas present today from BAT machine..... BAT actioned 300 NM... what load are you using? I have Berger 215 and 230's. Retumbo and H-1000.

That's what I'M talking' about! Long range harvesting.

It's replies and photos like this that make me glad I started this post.

I'd like to get my.300 Win mag. Browning A-Bolt re-barreled to .300 Norma magnum. I think the magazines will handle it. I'll take a magazine to my local Sportman's Warehouse and try the .300 NM cartridges.

Maybe a Boots Obermeyer barrel in 5R, medium contour with shallow fluting.

It's about time you got around to posting the Norma's results. You forgot to mention your spotter, photographer, and ruggedly handsome guide but I'll let it slide this time.

That's what I'M talking' about! Long range harvesting.

It's replies and photos like this that make me glad I started this post.

I'd like to get my.300 Win mag. Browning A-Bolt re-barreled to .300 Norma magnum. I think the magazines will handle it. I'll take a magazine to my local Sportman's Warehouse and try the .300 NM cartridges.

Maybe a Boots Obermeyer barrel in 5R, medium contour with shallow fluting.
Dont think mag will work and the Norma is a large bolt face,and typically recommended on a larger action by most smiths

Dont think mag will work and the Norma is a large bolt face,and typically recommended on a larger action by most smiths

You're correct. You will need the bolt size .590" to fit the Lapua family. The magnum caliber, like 338 WM, 300 Win Mag, will fit magnum bolt size, .535"

The only way if you want to keep the magnum bolt size is go for 300 RUM, 338 RUM, 338 EDGE.

Yeah, after posting that I looked up .300 NM and .300 Win mag base diameters and realized there was not enough material to open it up, not was the magazine wide enough for the .300 NM case.

AND... the difference in ballistics between the two cartridges is not great enough to warrant swapping out for a new rifle in .300 NM.

Here is my new rifle, ready for break in and then final nitride finish..
BAT action..... left bolt, right port.
5 round AI mag
APA bottom metal
Broughton 5R 9 twist 24" 5.75 contour.
APA little bastard muzzle break
5/8x24 threaded, suppressor-ready barrel
Timmney Calvin Elite trigger 2.5#
Manner T2 carbon fiber stock
BAT machine did all the smithing

Total weight with a NF 5-22 is 11.25#

Can't wait to see how she shoots!
2598jef.jpg