.300 Norma magnum for hunting??

308 Win VS 300 Norma Magnum discussion:

Guess it depends on what one means by hunting.

Is your hunting at 50 yards in the pine thickets or aspen groves? Will your shot be taken at 700 yards across a valley?

To me because this is a Long Range Hunting forum and I would probably think I would run into folks that consider a 308 to be a little light for some things.

A 30-06 kills well but still won't/can't compete with the heavy weights for energy on target at the 600 yard + distances.

To the OP, I would have considered the 300 Norma when I bought my RUM, but, it didn't exist. It seems to be a great round and I know some long range shooters who really swear by it.

my 2 cents
v/r rch

That is an unbeatable group as far as I am concerned ! Wouldn't change a thing ! I assume this is a heavy barreled rifle! How long and how heavy and what brand is your barrel ? I am in PA and haven't heard of Moon. Is he a gunsmith from your area ? Congratulations on the success of your new gun !

Thanks! The speed should pick up after 150-ish rounds and the barrel settles in. Here's a pic of the rifle and its specs:

Crescent Customs build (Tim "Moon" Roberts)
J. Allen Chassis (CIP length mags)
Surgeon XL
Bartlein heavy palma 1-9 twist, 27"
Area 419 Sidewinder brake
Triggertech Diamond

Attachments

• 300NM.jpg
    300NM.jpg
    858.5 KB · Views: 205
Jon, where did you hit pressure with the Peterson brass?

I haven't yet! I've been loading them a few grains down from max because they're new brass and being shot in a new barrel. What I can say is this: in my old rifle my max load with Norma brass was 81gr of H1000 under a 230. The accuracy wasn't there, but this brass handled 82gr H1000 like it was nothing! I ordered 100 more from Grafs last night.

Thanks! The speed should pick up after 150-ish rounds and the barrel settles in. Here's a pic of the rifle and its specs:

Crescent Customs build (Tim "Moon" Roberts)
J. Allen Chassis (CIP length mags)
Surgeon XL
Bartlein heavy palma 1-9 twist, 27"
Area 419 Sidewinder brake
Triggertech Diamond
Thanks for sharing your information ! And again an unbeatable 30 cal. group to me ! I am going to start filling my piggy bank ! Great looking gun !

Oooweee Jon!
That is a beautiful, tiny group. Kyle Lamb loves the .300 Norma mag. and now you know why. I have some of those Berger 230 gr. Hybrids and they work very well in my .300 Win mag. at distances to 960 yards (max range of my club's steel range).

My heavy barreled, stainless HS Precision gets groups like that too with H 1000 and Winchester primers.

Eric B.

Oooweee Jon!
That is a beautiful, tiny group. Kyle Lamb loves the .300 Norma mag. and now you know why. I have some of those Berger 230 gr. Hybrids and they work very well in my .300 Win mag. at distances to 960 yards (max range of my club's steel range).

My heavy barreled, stainless HS Precision gets groups like that too with H 1000 and Winchester primers.

Eric B.
Thanks Eric! Was out shooting yesterday afternoon and the barrel has already sped up. The same load is now averaging 2970fps with no pressure signs. Prints 1.5" groups at 403y. Man I'm loving Peterson brass!

Thanks Eric! Was out shooting yesterday afternoon and the barrel has already sped up. The same load is now averaging 2970fps with no pressure signs. Prints 1.5" groups at 403y. Man I'm loving Peterson brass!
The first lot of peterson brass measures 0.580 at the web, and spec is 0.583, a known problem that they are addressing with new lots. It can eventually cause over working in that area. Just an fyi to keep an eye on that.