.300 magnums

Have you looked at the Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in .300 Winchester Magnum? It's got a Karsten adjustable comb with a muzzle brake. I have one and with reloads I get 5 shot groups at 100 yards that measure .6". With the muzzle brake, if has less kick than a 30-06. It is really easy to swap out barrels on Savage guns too. The weight isn't too bad either, at 8.7 lbs. It's got a 26" heavy sporter barrel and then the 2" muzzle brake.

I have a 300wsm in a FN patrol bolt rifle has 24 inch fluted barrel, Hogue overmold stock that has aluminum block BED, the reciever is early model 70 Winchester, Ziess 6x24x50 scope. Very accurate Love it.

I have a 300 Jarrett built by Jarrett on Rem 700 action. Awesome round and very accurate. You can easily shoot anything from 165 to 220 grain loads. He also makes a long throat version for super long range shooting. Check out his website.

New to this forum,
I just wanted to add my .02. I have a Browning .300 WInMag 1000 Eclipse. The thumbhole stock and "A"Bolt action are great. I paid a thousand dollars for the rifle brand new.

I have since discovered a small niche manufacturer called 'Surgeon Rifles' out of Oklahoma. I ordered one of their 'Remedy' XL version long range rifles. The difference between the Browning and the Surgeon is deafening. I have the BOSS system on the Eclipse, and can easily bring the groups into 1/2 MOA (.502").

I compare the barrel size, Heavy Barrel, according to Browning, to the MTU Fluted I have on the Surgeon.

I have a love for both rifles. Each is designed for a specific use. The Browning is lighter, easier to manuever. The Surgeon is rock solid out to 1200yds.

The 5R barrel on the Surgeon is a nail driver, exposing all of my issues for lack of accuracy. My best to date with just under 200 rounds through it is .325 MOA from 100 yds.

In summary, they are expensive. I will only buy one after two and a half years of saving, followed by a year to build. look at your long term commitment and either buy an eclipse or a Surgeon. You won't be disappointed!

Regards,
NavySh00ter

I am with Mr. Ed, the savage lrh would be hard to beat, at any price. Savage has good Quality control, 15 minutes to rebarrel, change the bolt head from a 30/06 to 300 win in another 10 minutes, have done this myself. I have built 12 custom rifles on savage long actions, for long range shooting, hunting and F classs, and there is a huge after market variety of parts such as bolthandles,recoil lugs, barrels, stocks and tooling. I true my own actions, tune or replace the triggers, bed in a quality stock with alum. pillars or bedding block, and often add muzzle brakes. I recently did a .300 build, with a 30/06 as described above, bought the 30/06 for $250, sold barrel and stock for$90, bought a new HOlland recoil lug, indicated and trued action, put on Shilen heavy sporter SS barrel and Boss type Muzzle brake, put in a B&C medalist stock that I skim bedded and used the Leupold bases that already were on the action. I did redrill and tap the mount/screw holes for 8/40 screws for more strength. Added a quality scope and with my old standby handload with 180gr. Sierra, will easiy shoot 1/2 inch 5 shot groups at 100yds, and hang at 1inch at 200yds first load, no workup. Total cost was less than $1000 not counting the scope. I have 2 similar rifles in 6.5x284 that I built and they are my go to guns here in KY. Most shots here will be 500yds and under varmint or deer, just the lay of the land. JMHO. Sam.

I bought a 300 win mag tikka tac. last year 4x16 4200 bushnell,5 rounds 3 holes less than 1 in. 168gr seirra match.Best rifle I have shot.Have a muzzle break ordered not for recoil reduction but I can"t see my shot a long ranges,recoils to the right off target. Trying to hit coyotes way out there with 150gr game getters.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.