.300 magnums

timmay

Savage 16: 300 win mag 26" ss fluted heavy barrel ($750)
Remington milspec 5r 300 win mag. 26" ss heavy barrel ($1100)
Sako A7 300wsm 24" sporter barrel blued ($800)
or the big boy:
Browning A-bolt LRH 300 RUM 26" med/heavy fluted barrel ($800) this rifle isnt really that heavy. The heaviest is the rem, but it sure is nice

use: anything from short range to way the hell out there hunting of up to elk sized game

Please discuss

For me it would be the Remington first and Savage second but that is because I can't stand the looks of the Savage. The reason I say that is because of aftermarket parts like triggers, stocks, etc favor the Remington heavily. The 5R Remingtons are known to shoot really well too.

I bought the Remington for my first long range rifle, I was really unsure at first what to get but after putting a few rounds through it i'm starting to really like it.

Thats a toughy. I would only consider the Rem and the Browning. the two main reasons being the stock and the barrel contour. The Remington has the best stock, but the poorest Quality control. The Browning has the least disirable action (at least IMO) but quality and finish is awsome, the stock is as good as a laminate gets, and its stainless, not to mention a great trigger for factory. I think that I would go with the browning and put the $300 you save into good optics something to better the reloading room. I would try to get it in 300 win though.

That Rem 5r sure does look the best, but have any of you seen the Browning long range hunter? I think it looks real nice. Has a grey laminate stock with a mat black fluted barrel.

I really dont care for what looks the "coolest" and go for what works and feels the best, but I will say that looks do play a role in choosing. Savage wouldnt look so bad if they would drop them in a better looking stock.
The Browning feels like it could be packed around, its pretty light (not sako or tika light but still) and is in ultra mag so long range is no problem, the action feels real smooth.

The Rem 5R is heavy, feels more like a varmint or dedicated long range rifle and looks the best, but is the most expensive by far.

Ive been debating 300 win mag vs RUM and cant choose one. I would choose a 300RUM hands down if components werent so expensive. I feel that a win mag would be plenty good for what I need

Thats a toughy. I would only consider the Rem and the Browning. the two main reasons being the stock and the barrel contour. The Remington has the best stock, but the poorest Quality control. The Browning has the least disirable action (at least IMO) but quality and finish is awsome, the stock is as good as a laminate gets, and its stainless, not to mention a great trigger for factory. I think that I would go with the browning and put the $300 you save into good optics something to better the reloading room. I would try to get it in 300 win though.

I agree with this. Although I like the feel of the Browning action, but they are harder to rebarrel just because of the locktite but thats not to hard to get around.
The Browning feels like quality when holding and looking it over
The Rem 5R feels alot like a sendero to me, which is a good thing

Have you got an old rifle with a magnum bolt face?
It could be the same, or less $ to have an old action squared up, & re piped to your chosen cartrige.
Pawn shops, Craigslist, news paper, all selling used rifles of all different makes, & models. You may find a Smokin deal, & get into a semi custom for same, or less $ than the ones you listed.
Just something to chew on.gun)

Have you got an old rifle with a magnum bolt face?
It could be the same, or less $ to have an old action squared up, & re piped to your chosen cartrige.
Pawn shops, Craigslist, news paper, all selling used rifles of all different makes, & models. You may find a Smokin deal, & get into a semi custom for same, or less $ than the ones you listed.
Just something to chew on.gun)

Ive thought about this. I have a Savage 112 in 22-250. Same exact rifle as the newer model 12 BVSS but mine has a long action. I have been thinking of switching out the bolt face and dropping in a 300 win or rum barrel.
That for sure would be the cheaper way to go.....but buying a new rifle is fun (but saving money is the better idea)

Ive thought about this. I have a Savage 112 in 22-250. Same exact rifle as the newer model 12 BVSS but mine has a long action. I have been thinking of switching out the bolt face and dropping in a 300 win or rum barrel.
That for sure would be the cheaper way to go.....but buying a new rifle is fun (but saving money is the better idea)

Putting a custom tube with a perfect chamber on that current action is a much better solution and you can spend more money on glass or reloading and shooting the heck out of it!!!!

The only down side to this is my savage is a single shot and I'd prefer a repeater. Iguess i could always change out the stock later that is inletted for a magazine

If you like your Savage then go with the new barrel on it. You can also keep your eye out for another stock. Watch the classifieds on here as well, there are always great deals on complete rifles ready to go.

I went the Savage route, but I found a new 112 BVSS in .300 WM and got a great deal on it. It shoots great, the laminate stock is solid and fits me perfectly, and I got it right away instead of trying to build something.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.