7 mm magnums

ann brezinski

what is the real difference between the 7 mm rem,28 nosler and the 7 mm lrm
given equal barrel lengths and 168 to 180 grain bullets?
I understand the velocity between them is about 150 fps.
gary b

The 7mm LRM brass is very had to find, pretty much other than straight from Gunwerks and the very rare random online listing, it's nearly impossible to find. And if GW has some, I'd buy about 500-1000 cases, if that is a caliber you plan on committing to for many years and many barrels. Never owned one, so can't comment on performance, but it appears to be about dead-center between the 7mmRM and the 7mm STW.

7mm RemMag, brass and ammo can be found everywhere. It's a great caliber, been around since 62, and ain't going nowhere anytime soon.

7mm STW another awesome caliber. Brass and ammo can be found in a lot more places than it used to be, but the availability still falls somewhere in between the 7mmRM and LRM. It's also a commitment-caliber, because brass seems to appear, then dry-up. And this happens in random spurts. So, if you plan on committing to it, I'd stock up about 250-500 cases and that should last you several barrels. You will also be hooked after owning one. :D

The 7mm LRM brass is very had to find, pretty much other than straight from Gunwerks and the very rare random online listing, it's nearly impossible to find. And if GW has some, I'd buy about 500-1000 cases, if that is a caliber you plan on committing to for many years and many barrels. Never owned one, so can't comment on performance, but it appears to be about dead-center between the 7mmRM and the 7mm STW.

7mm RemMag, brass and ammo can be found everywhere. It's a great caliber, been around since 62, and ain't going nowhere anytime soon.

7mm STW another awesome caliber. Brass and ammo can be found in a lot more places than it used to be, but the availability still falls somewhere in between the 7mmRM and LRM. It's also a commitment-caliber, because brass seems to appear, then dry-up. And this happens in random spurts. So, if you plan on committing to it, I'd stock up about 250-500 cases and that should last you several barrels. You will also be hooked after owning one. :D
Yep for the STW I've pretty much gone to using different factory loads for each of them till I find one that works and save all the brass for each of the rifles it's shooting best in.

I still have about 300rds or Rem still in the plastic but the Nosler and Hornady brass is still working pretty well along with the last batch of The old Nickle platedWinchester brass I'm still shootig.

Brass availability for the 28 Nosler should be no problem at all for decades so if that's the route I went I'd start off with a couple of hundred rounds of the Hornady ElD-X to hit the line and buy it till I had a couple of rounds of it.

Giong that route at least gives yu somethin to shoot while you'r e collecting brass for each individual rifle.

I just finished putting togeteh a promising Win M70 custom shop classic stainless that shows real promise after mounting it to a McMillan M40- I picked up last year from anther member. short outing at the range proved it's got some real potential and I love it when a new one shows promise starting out on the first five shots.

Was shooging HSM loaded with the Berger 210g Hunting VLD and even up close showed some considerable charm.

If this one goes on and shoots the I just have one more "gun project" to do and it may be my last.

Trying to load up pictures from my phone but it doesn't seem to want to cooperate. Maybe I can figure it out tomorrow.

I think to answer that question you have to first consider what you want out of the .284 selection of bullets (it's quite good). If pushing them really fast is your goal them the STW or the LRM is the obvious winner. Deciding between the two would be a personal decision based on your ability to get components as explained above.
Just my .02 but the 7RM is hard to beat when comparing across the board. Efficiency is the thing that gets my attention. It's common that there is +/- 10gr difference in load volume for roughly a 100-200 gain in fps. Barrel life in the 7RM is roughly almost double that of the STW. I have several guns in the safe that are "bigger" than the 7RM, but I use it twice as much as any of the others. FOR ME it's a great balance of power, recoil, component availability and barrel life.

Some good banter here. Not much to add to what has already been said but I want to follow the thread. My 7RM is a Sauer 202 straight factory but it shoots amazingly well.

I own a mag lrm and a stw. The lrm seems to be on top for speed. I read somewhere I think that the lrm is between the mag and stw. But not according to my chrono I could ck my data to be sure but I think I'm pushing the 180 in the lrm the same as my stw pushes 168s.

And my 7mm mag shoots 140s at 3000fps. Stw 168s 2900ish and lrm 180s at 2980. I could pro get more out of the stw though.

And my 7mm mag shoots 140s at 3000fps. Stw 168s 2900ish and lrm 180s at 2980. I could pro get more out of the stw though.

From my experiences, you should be getting a lot more out of all of them... My 26" 7mmRM is pushing 168's ~3,100 MV, and my 7mm STW is pushing 180's over 3K.

My 7mmRM load is close to max, but is not showing any signs of excess pressure. Up to 3 firings on the Nosler brass so far, and everything is still perfect, including primer pockets.

But, the 7mm STW hasn't even broke a sweat yet at 3K with the 180's, but it's producing 0.4xx" 5-shot groups at 100, so I'm pretty happy with where it's currently at. I might try to push it harder just to find out where my max pressure limits are in that rifle. It would be good info to have to know where my current load stands.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.